Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gbozoki
Ketchup Master

USA
70 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  6:56:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is a bug (it feels like one) or just an incorrect setting somewhere, but I ran into this:

The code is C# (VS 2005, VAX 1539) and is syntactically correct (but unfinished.) Notice, that when a member of the DataObjectStatus enum is being typed, the completion list shows up and although it already has enough information to select the only possible member, it still shows an incorrect member in the list which is also selected. I'd expect at this point to see only 'New' in the list and that item would be selected, of course, since that's the only possibly correct selection.

The DataObjectStatus enum has only these two members that start with 'N'.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to correct this.

Edited by - gbozoki on Oct 27 2006 6:58:34 PM

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  11:11:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We let the IDE generate completion listboxes for C#, and the one you see is from the IDE. We can't do much about it.

If you want suggestions from VA X while you type, instead of completion listboxes, you'll need to disable "show completion listboxes after every character" in the IDE options.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18948 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  12:36:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On a related front, if you have both options:

VA Options -> Text Editor -> listboxes -> allow acronyms
VA Options -> Text Editor -> listboxes -> allow shorthand

turned on, and this was fully in the hands of VA then this would be correct, since both words have 'n' followed by 'e'

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

gbozoki
Ketchup Master

USA
70 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  1:51:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have the "show completion listboxes after every character" option on. I did have the "allow shorthand" and "allow acronyms" on, but I turned them off now.

However, it still seems wrong, since even though both words had 'n' and 'e', 'New' is a closer match than 'None', so I'd still expect 'New' to be selected in the list.

Does VAX control the selection in the list or is the whole thing coming from the IDE?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18948 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  3:05:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not quite sure where one stops and the other starts. The content of the completion listboxes in C# comes from the IDE. VA does some things to them, like shrinking them as you type.

However the IDE is reponsible for jumping to a certain item in the listbox when you type something like:

String foo = new |

Here the selected item should be String. Are you still seeing "None" selected in this example? VS2005 does not understand "DataObjectStatus" in my C# project, and I don't recognise this one, so I don't know if I am simply missing a using statement.

Go to Top of Page

gbozoki
Ketchup Master

USA
70 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  6:01:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After turning off "Allow acronyms" and "Allow shorthand", I only see "New" in the list when I type

DataObjectStatus.ne|

DataObjectStatus is not part of the framework, so you're not missing references. It simply has 4 members, from 0 to 3; two of these members are None and New. Here is the full definition:

public enum DataObjectStatus
{
    None = 0,
    New = 1,
    Changed,
    Deleted
}

If I type your example, feline, I do see string in the list and it is selected. This also works properly for other types.

Edited by - gbozoki on Oct 28 2006 6:04:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18948 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  1:46:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Acronyms and Shorthand can produce some odd looking results, and take a bit of getting used to. Personally I find them very helpful, but sometimes they do have this unwanted side effect.

Interestingly when I try your if statement with this enum "New" is always the selected item.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000