Visual Assist Options - exits Visual Studio
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pawinter

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2006 :  11:15:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I bring up the VA Options dialog, no matter how I close it, Visual Studio 6.0 instantly disappears - no message. This is now happening with build 1446 and I just installed 1540 - same thing! This happens with or without a project being loaded.

Here is the dump:
VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1540.0 built 2006.10.27
Licensed to:
VA X: [email protected] (1-user license) Support ends 2007.05.04
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.3.7
VATE.dll version 1.0.5.9
MSDev.exe version 6.0.9782.2
Devshl.dll version 6.0.9782.0
Devedit.pkg version 6.0.9782.0
Font: Courier -13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2900.2180
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
2 processors

Platform: Win32 (x86)
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\INCLUDE;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\MFC\\INCLUDE;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\ATL\\INCLUDE;

Library Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\MFC\\SRC;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\MFC\\INCLUDE;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\ATL\\INCLUDE;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\VC98\\CRT\\SRC;

Other Includes:

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2006 :  11:45:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have any other addin's installed?
Have you installed any patches of hot fixes for VC6?
Are you running any system debuggers, or anything else that might interact with VA unloading a dll when it closes the options dialog?

Seeing this on two different versions of VA seems to rule out a corrupt download.
Have you tried uninstalling VA, deleting its install directory and registry keys, and then reinstalling? This is a long shot, but it could help.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

pawinter

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2006 :  12:00:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I removed addins WndTabs and IncrediBuild, no luck. Will try the uninstall / reinstall of Visual Assist.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2006 :  12:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WndTabs and IncrediBuild are both fairly common among our users, so there should not be any problems with either of these. However that does not prove they are not involved.

If you want to be very safe after the uninstall, if there is any sign of the C:\\Program Files\\Visual Assist X\\ directory then rename it instead of deleting it. This will make sure that the reinstall does not sit directly on top of it. This should not matter, but once or twice I have seen odd problems where it did seem to matter.

Also see if there is any sign of the HKCU \\ Software \\ Whole Tomato registry key, and if so delete that as well.

Hopefully this plus the re-install will fix the problem.

Go to Top of Page

pawinter

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2006 :  3:43:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sad to say, after uninstalling all add-ins including VA and removing keys from registry and deleting install folders. I rebooted, reinstalled, entered the keys and it still is broken...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2006 :  4:36:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you go to:

VC6 tools menu -> Customize -> Add-ins and Macro Files tab

you should only have two items listed, VA and "SAMPLE", and SAMPLE should not be ticked. Do you have any other entries?
Is there anything odd about your system that might offer a clue? Any hot fixes that you have installed from Microsoft, any utilities that run on startup that might be effecting either the IDE of VA?

Are you familiar with process explorer? http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html
Using this, and showing the dll's and their locations for VC6 while the options dialog is open all of the dll's are in one of the following directories:

C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\Common\\MSDev98\\Bin\C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\Common\\MSDev98\\Bin\\IDE\C:\\Program Files\\visual assist x\C:\\Program Files\\VMware\\VMware Tools\C:\\WINNT\\Registration\C:\\WINNT\\system32\
VMWare is only in the list since I ran this test inside a VMWare machine. Are you seeing anything else on your system?
Do you see this problem if you open the options dialog before loading a workspace, and with no files open?

Edited by - feline on Oct 31 2006 4:37:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  1:11:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diffing this with the list from my machine, you have quite a few (46) dll's that I do not have, but these are mainly to do with the extra programs you have running, that I am not running. I am still working on the theory that something on your machine is interacting rather badly with VA.

Can you try rebooting in safe mode, and see if you still have this problem? This should eliminate some of these programs.

I noticed ObjectDock from Stardock, I know that ObjectBar had a strange interaction bug with VS2005, so this is a possible factor.
I also noticed that the dll's for WndTabs are listed, even though the addin should not be loaded. However WndTabs is such a common addin that it is unlikely to be the problem.

"MemTurbo.exe" caught my eye, simply because it sounds like something that might be doing "clever" things.

Go to Top of Page

pawinter

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  1:14:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Problem Solved! - the culprit was FileBox eXtender. I added MSDev.exe to it's exception list and no more crashes. You might post this in the FAQ section for others. Not sure how many people use this utility and maybe their final free version (they can't migrate in to Vista) is the problem - I might check my previous registered copy. Thanks for your efforts.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  1:36:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
from here? http://www.hyperionics.com/files/index.asp

Based on a quick scan read of the feature list, there is a similar utility bundled with Powerdesk, called "Dialog Helper", and it is bundled with the free version of Powerdesk 6, according to the comparison chart. I have no idea if it is compatible with Vista though.

http://www.v-com.com/product/PowerDesk_Free_Trial.html

Go to Top of Page

pawinter

USA
9 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  3:47:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have PowerDesk (purchased), but prefer FileBox eXtender (over Dialog Helper) which adds buttons to Explorer. The author posted another build that seems to have corrected the problem. It's a good utility and now that it is free, worth a try.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000