Unique shortcut keys in Refactor context menu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

peterchen
Tomato Guru

126 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2006 :  09:24:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using the refactoring via keyboard is now very easy. (Did I already say thank you thank you thank you? :D )

Still a problem: Duplicate accelerator keys, e.g. "&Rename" and "Find &References"

This prevents me from simply using e.g. [Alt-S] [R] (alt-s being the context menu shortcut). Most commands work this way, but for these two it's [Alt-S] [R] [ENTER] / [Alt-S] [R] [R] [ENTER].

And if I happen to have a context menu with only on "R" command, both are dangerous due to the extra Enter.

I don't care about which accelerators, as long as they are unique for all refactor operations.

pretty please?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2006 :  12:17:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you customised your VAssistX menu? For me I have the menu options:

V&AssistX -> Fin&d References...
V&AssistX -> &Refactor -> &Rename...

so no duplicates. I made a point of finding duplicates and asking for them to be removed a while ago, since I also like my keyboard access

Also it is Alt-a for me to open the VAssistX menu, not Alt-s.

Which IDE are you using? If you are using VC6 then you will have had to add this menu manually.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

peterchen
Tomato Guru

126 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2006 :  6:30:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am using the Context menu (I assigned Alt-S to the command that opens it). I see this under both VC6 and VS2005 (C# project), VAX 1540.

I see the same as you describe in the VAssitX menu, where it isn't a problem. But the contexct menu uses different hotkeys.

If you click on the arrow, you can't see the hotkeys, but pressing [R] will just switch between the Find Reference and Rename command, whereas pressing e.g. [S] will immediately execute the command.

BTW. There is something similar with the V&AssistX entry in the main menu (VS2005): it conflicts with the D&ata menu. But that's not as much of an issue (atl least for me), and probably impossible to get right with all the dynamic menus and the different languages - but VAssist&X might be a safe bet :)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2006 :  09:30:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In VS2005 if you customise the IDE you can move the Data menu, I have placed it under the Tools menu, and suddenly there is no conflict

I still have no idea what the Data menu is for, or what makes it appear. Some times it is there and some times it is not.

I see what you mean now, I was looking at a different menu. Changing &Rename to Re&name will fix this without clashing with anything else.

case=3573

Go to Top of Page

peterchen
Tomato Guru

126 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2006 :  09:59:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
>> or what makes it appear
the power of rand() maybe ?

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2006 :  10:00:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest I think you are right I have had it appear, or not appear, on different days on the same machine with the same solution *sigh*

Once I figured out what was causing the problems I hid it, and I have never looked back.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2006 :  9:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Case 3573 fixed in build 1541.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: