More Syntax Colors and add user definition
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mmkider

2 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  9:56:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as titile.
Now assistx have four Colors,but not enough.
Maybe assistx reference source insight.
it is so cool with more and more colors.
http://www.sourceinsight.com/

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  08:39:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like colours, I have liked colours when editing for years, but this screen shot looks a bit overkill to me:

http://www.sourceinsight.com/features_files/FullAppLg.gif

There are no immediate plans to add any more colours to VA. We already have quite a lot of "edge case" bugs with the colours we already offer, so it makes more sense to try and improve this before thinking about adding more.

Plus since we do not have full control VA's colouring has to be done by educated guesswork, which makes some things very hard to do.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

mmkider

2 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  10:51:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ya. I agree it's a funny picture,but it represent I will control all things as global var, local var, function's definition, function's use and other to use a different colour between them.
I know it's not easy work.
Thank you for response.

Edited by - mmkider on Nov 15 2006 10:52:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

sl@sh
Tomato Guru

Switzerland
204 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  03:36:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at the picture I am under the impression that sourceinsight uses color to represent different kinds of symbols and formatting to represent scope. While I agree that VA's means to discern the type of symbol are more limited than sourcesight's, I do think that VA does already have all the needed information regarding scope. Or does it?

Maybe VA could add the scope-dependend formatting: For example bold symbols for locals (which should already be done), underlined symbols for public class members, dash-underlined symbols for protected class members, dot-underlined symbols for private members, italics for inherited members and so on.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  08:08:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VA has a fair bit of information, but that information is not really available when doing the colouring.

One factor is that VA's colouring code is designed to run very quickly, to keep up with scrolling. A bigger factor is the way the IDE draws the text, VA has very little context when it comes to apply colouring to the editor.

When looking at underlining, remember this tends to come along "after the fact", and is not applied as quickly as colouring.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  10:30:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As feline mentions, we have little control over the IDE. The IDE draws text in a normal font and VA X tries to fudge the drawing without the IDE knowing it. There is only so much we can do.

It would all be different if we had source code to the IDE and could modify drawing at the application level.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000