New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sasa
Tomato Guru

272 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  11:29:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I recently discovered coding with dark background and I am loving it!

Alas, there is some caveats with darkbackgrounds as far as VAX is concerned.

If I set my "window" background color to a dark one via the system properties "Appearence/Advanced", and my text color to light blue as depicted in the following graphic

VAX does NOT respect the text color I set in windows ( the light blue ) when displaying second contextual menu ( SHIFT+Right-Click), and it keeps its default black color which makes it pretty usless to me because I cannot read a thing.

The second contextual menu is not the only instance where VAX does not respect the text color and uses the default black color.

I have seen a couple of vax places where it does that and I think they are all related somehow.

Edit: If you notice, even the Miscrosoft items in this menu still use a black text as opposed to the light blue one.

----------------------

This is how the correct menu text should be

C++
Visual Studio 2008 Pro
Windows 7 x64

Edited by - Sasa on Nov 14 2006 11:40:07 PM

Sasa
Tomato Guru

272 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  12:01:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is weird with that SHIFT+Right-Click menu is that it appears to be "flat" colored as opposed to the normal contextual menu (second figure in above post) that has more of a "gradient" color.

C++
Visual Studio 2008 Pro
Windows 7 x64
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  09:00:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a gradient edge effect on the menu in VS2005, but there is colouring of the edge at all in VC6, the entire menu is one even colour.

I believe it is a custom menu that VA is showing, which is why this can happen under some conditions.

For now you may want to try a global "off white" background colour, or only making the editor in the IDE have a black background.

I have been using an off white global background colour for a few years, and find it a massive improvement, and not as "overwhelming" as a black background, especially when swapping between the IDE and the web browser. I have settled on R=240, G=255, B=255, but different monitors call for a different colour.

case=472

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  9:25:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at your screen shots, and trying to reproduce this exactly, where is the text colour in the IDE's right click menu coming from? It is a different shade to the colour showing in the display dialog box.

Have you specified other custom colours, or is the IDE doing something clever? Personally I suspect the IDE is doing something clever.

Go to Top of Page

Sasa
Tomato Guru

272 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  9:32:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look at my setting feline, the first figure. I have set my text color to light blue (look where it sais "Window text"), hence the right click menu text is using that system color, which is the correct behavior.

C++
Visual Studio 2008 Pro
Windows 7 x64

Edited by - Sasa on Nov 15 2006 9:33:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  08:35:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The shade of light blue appears to be slightly different on the IDE's right click menu and the display dialog. It is not a big difference, but I am fairly sure it is there. Also the background of the menu is not actually black.

The "correct" colour is debatable, since the IDE is using the window colours for the menu, while I would have expected it to use the menu colours for the menu In contrast notepad seems to use the menu colours for its menus.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  11:34:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually it gets better. Using what I think is your colour scheme in VC6 the IDE's right click menu has a grey background, while in VS2003 and VS2005 the IDE's right click menu has a black background.

I am getting that warm happy feeling *rolls eyes*

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000