New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sjaffe
Ketchup Master

USA
60 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  4:27:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VAX 1540 in eVC 4.0: In the Suggestions option dialog I can select to accept a suggestion with either a tab, enter or any character not valid in a symbol. When I have all three checked, if a suggestion is highlighted and I hit tab or enter, the suggestion is inserted in my file with the caret at the end of the symbol. If I type any other character that is not in the symbol, I get the symbol pasted PLUS the character. This is inconsistent and is not what I want. It should work the same as tab or enter (NOT appending the last character typed in). (IMO bug, not enhancement request)
Thanks, Stan

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  08:21:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you seeing a suggestion listbox (with question mark icons) or a completion listbox (appears after CTRL-SPACE)?

I have just tried, and I am not seeing this behaviour here. I agree that this sounds like a bug, but so far I cannot reproduce it.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  10:53:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, the behavior is by design. Press semicolon when a suggestion listbox is open, assuming "accept with any character" is enabled, and VA X accepts the symbol and inserts the semicolon.

We modeling the behavior of VB inside VS.NET and VS2005. If you aren't a VB user accustomed to this sort of thing, we recommend you disable "accept with any character" and learn to use Tab. You might have to train your brain but you'll like the consistency.

See "Accept with Tab" at:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/suggestion.asp

Go to Top of Page

sjaffe
Ketchup Master

USA
60 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  5:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, thanks for the explanation. I understand the design intent now. No, I'm not a VB user, but now that you point out the intent, it seems worthwhile to retrain my brain to think in terms of the next character after the selection. When I first saw this feature my interpretation was "use any character to select, rather than just tab or enter" (you have to admit, that's exactly what the option box text says). Now if I am completing a function call, I'll just select it with an open parens rather than some random character. I'm going to have to type that following character anyway, might as well save a keystroke ;^)
Thanks, Stan

Art is the zen of being one too

Stan
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  10:40:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being pedantic, but the option says "Any character not valid in a symbol"

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page