Feature Requests
 Suggestions for Find Symbol
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Richard

4 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  05:20:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be useful to have an option to make Find Symbol case senitive. It would also be useful to be able to find symbols that start with a given string.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  10:21:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What language, IDE and version of VA are you using?
Which feature exactly are you using?

Using VS2003 and VA 1540 with C++ I have added the code:

static int getCounter()
{
    int nFoo = 3;
    nFoo++;
    nFoo += 2;

int NFOO = 1;
    NFOO++;
    return 2;
}

and VA's Find References knows that nFoo and NFOO are different variables.

To find things that start with a given string have you tried the IDE's find in regular expression mode, or VA's FSIW dialog?

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/siw.asp

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Richard

4 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  2:12:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am using VC++ in VS2005, and VA 10.3.1538.0

I agree that VA will treat nFoo and NFOO as different symbols. But when I type nFoo in a find symbol dialogue, I do not want the list of options to include NFOO. I work in an application with a very large number of symbols. Filtering by case would be a significant help.

Similarly, I would like to be able restrict the results of the find symbol command to just those symbols that start with the given string.

About you suggestion that I use my IDE's find in regular expression mode: I had hoped that VA would give better functionality than a textual search.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  12:55:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are talking about different things, I did not realise you were focusing on the FSIW dialog.

Are you searching for symbols that are members of a class, or global symbols?
When searching for the member of a class you can use ".foo" which will search for all class members starting with "foo"

Also if you are looking for members of a class are you aware you can use two or more filter strings? Just separate them with a space, and they are both applied, anywhere in the result.

What sort of list size are you looking at? I am a little surprised you have a lot of entries in the FSIW list that only differ by case.

Go to Top of Page

Richard

4 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  1:13:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am searching for global symbols. I don't get many entries in the FSIW list that differ only in case. But I can get 100+ entities that contain a given set of characters. If I know that a symbols name starts in 'foo', but can't remember the rest of the name, I would prefer not to have the FSIW list cluttered with 'Fooxxx', 'xxxfoo', etc.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  3:50:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the problem, what happens when you remember the middle of the name? E.g. all functions about XML?
Exactly the same occurs when you try to make the filtering case sensitive, which is why it is case insensitive by default.

Regular expressions are often put forward as the solution to some of these problems, but every program I use that supports regular expressions does them differently *sigh* Personally I like regular expressions, and use them quite a bit, but they can still cause a pile of problems.

Go to Top of Page

Richard

4 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2006 :  06:56:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would not really mind about the defaults if I had some way to override them. (That said, I think case-insensitivity would be a better default for a case-insensative language.)

Any of the popular regular expression definitions would be fine for me. Maybe they can cause problems, but they can also solve them.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2006 :  08:01:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Case sensitive searching has been discussed before, and one suggestion was that lower case letters are case insensitive while upper case letters are case sensitive. This makes a fair degree of sense, but would not help since you seem to be searching for a lower case symbol.

One big reason for having a case insensitive search is that when you are working on a large project with several developers you can never be sure of the case someone else has used, or even the case you yourself used 2 years ago. Plus consider FSIW, Windows is case insensitive when it comes to file names.

This does not seem to be a common problem, so I am trying to find a good work around for your particular case.

Regular expressions, I just have this vision of a massive help page explaining the regular expression syntax VA uses, along with a utility you can down load to help people construct their own regular expressions

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000