Feature Requests
 word-completion while writing comments
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andoras

4 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  03:52:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Comments coulb be written much faster, if VA could pop up a word proposal list of it's dictonary while typing letters. Should be like the word-suggestion-lists in mobile phones.
F.e. you type "gen" and a list of words beginning with "gen" will be popped up, like "generate", "generation", "generic", etc...

sl@sh
Tomato Guru

Switzerland
204 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  04:05:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, if VAX drew it's suggestion list just from it's symbol database, it would likely provide more hits even within comments than when it drew suggestions from the dictionary only. IME comments - if someone bothers to include them at all - are most often used to describe input and output values, so the amount of code symbols used in comments probably exceeds the amount of actual text. Of course, this is just my personal experience, and I've been developing code for only 15+ years now, so I might be mistaken ;)
Go to Top of Page

andoras

4 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  04:23:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course the suggestions must not be reduced to the dictionary only, but the focus in a comment is on the surrounding code and "normal" text, because you want to explain what happens "here"...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  08:23:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
try pressing CTRL-SPACE in the middle of a comment, this will produce suggestions drawn from the code. this is ideal when referencing functions / variables / types with long names.

the immediate problem with word suggestion from the dictionary is the number of suggestions for short initial words. I can see this opening up a whole pile of work, for a feature most people will never use. In my experience programmers are not the worlds greatest writers of "free text" - comments, documentation, etc. *shrug*

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

andoras

4 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  09:33:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep! This helps absolutly...
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  10:31:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See paragraph, "Completion within Comments and Strings" in: