New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rittjc
Ketchup Master

USA
84 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  1:38:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be nice when you have a private method, to jump to the region for private methods like you can show a list of methods and jump to a method. If the existing C# parser knows of regions and their start (or selectably their end) position, it would save a bunch of time as well in helping people organize their code.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18948 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  2:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we are considering adding regions to the alt-m list at some point in the future

case=808

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

rittjc
Ketchup Master

USA
84 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2006 :  04:29:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Feline,

Are regions something you already have parsed and have that info on hand? I tried installing an addin at one time that shows you the existing addins and allowed you to move code from and to them. The problem was that it was too performant prohibitive, i.e. they had to parse on the fly and it took too long.

When you discuss this features, what are the reservations of adding it. I don't thing creating a drop down is an issue so, is it parsing on the fly as it was in the addin?

Just Curious.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18948 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  11:08:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't actually know if they are currently parsed, but I would not be surprised if they were simply ignored by our parser.

As for performance, remember that we have put a lot of work into getting a parser that runs acceptably fast, and we still get bug reports of the parser bringing people's machines to their knee's in some particularly nasty C++ code

The primary reservation is simply that taking time to add a feature means time not spent bug fixing. We have a lot of outstanding bugs, some big, some small, so balancing between new features and bug fixes is a difficult task.

Also we have to consider how many people will a particular feature benefit. Adding refactoring and Find References bring a lot of benefits to a lot of our customers, so they are a good investment. For other features where only one or two people have requested them it is sometimes harder to assess the likely benefit.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  2:40:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=808 is implemented in build 1645

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly