General performance question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

blapthor

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  05:20:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies in advance for the lack of detail, and steps to reproduce the problem(s)!

I have a general question: we have about twenty people here using VA X, and some people suffer chronic slowdown in the VS2005 IDE. We have an MS engineer looking at this as well, but don't seem to be able to consistently reproduce the problem, so this is a fairly general question (I've trawled the forums for similar posts).

What we have a fairly large project (100 vcprojs with 500,000 lines of code), and when we're debugging in edit and continue mode, if we press any key in the IDE once the debugger hits a breakpoint, the whole IDE and often the machine freezes for anything from 30 seconds to 5 minutes.

I've read all the posts about feacp.dll, zero byte ncbs etc, but trying to persuade people in my team to try that is tricky at best. So my question is, what does VA X do during edit and continue, during such a large solution? I believe it runs on a low priority thread, so shouldn't be causing the problem that we see. So could it be VA X fighting for CPU cycles with VS during debugging?

Additionally some people have mentioned, anecdotally, that switching off VA X syntax highlighting improves the performance on our systems.

As far as I know, uninstalling VA X, hasn't solved this problem for our team, so I think that this problem might not be associated with VA X.

Thanks,

Barry.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18941 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  12:26:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have worked on a medium sized C++ project in VS2005 and the IDE is quite capable of producing this problem on its own, without VA installed. Have a look at this Microsoft KB article, and see if it sounds familiar to you:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916769

Perhaps after showing a couple of people this they would be willing to try disabling VS2005's intellisense to see if it makes a difference? The instructions have been summarised here:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W133

Rename the "feacp.dll" and you should know if this has helped very quickly, and you can simply rename the dll back again to restore the IDE's intellisense.

SP1 is now out for VS2005, but I am not seeing any mention of this fix in the release notes, based on a quick search of the page.

It is *possible* that VA is causing this problem, but if uninstalling VA does not help then this seems to prove that VA is not the problem.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000