Hiding underscored member functions in lists
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DanNilsson
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2006 :  12:27:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whenever I am getting a suggestion list for an STL object, they are littered with the "implementation functions" of the object, that are prefixed with an underscore("_"). Things like "_Debug_heap", "_AtExit" and so forth. I would really appreciate a filtering option for situations like this.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2006 :  09:29:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The current answer is going to be a mixture of the filtering toolbar, shorthand and acronyms, as explained here:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/members.asp

VA does not know which items you want to see, or not see, and if we start hiding things by default then this is likely to cause all sorts of problems, since it wont be long before someone feels we are hiding the wrong things.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

sl@sh
Tomato Guru

Switzerland
204 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  03:40:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about an additional filtering button at the bottom of the suggestion list box, to hide or show 'internal' symbols (i. e. those starting with '_')? Since by default everything will be shown, nothing changes at first sight, but if the list of internal symbols gets annoyingly long, you just select the appropriate filter buttons. I'm referring to the second last image in the article you linked in your answer: it shows exactly the problem and the mouse pointer in this image already kinda points to the solution
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  07:43:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are considering adding inverse filtering using these toolbar buttons. if done it would not be based on the name of the parameter, but on its access specifier. So instead of filtering the list to show private members you could remove private members from the list.

relying on underscore meaning something specific breaks for all of the people who do not use this naming convention. in C++ m_ at the start of a member variable name is quite common.

case=2351

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000