Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  02:04:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uhm, I have the option "Get content from default Intellisense" turned on. This is always on for me. The only option that is not on at

VA Options -> Text Editor -> listboxes

is the lowermost one (List non-inherited members first). Does the settings file say something different?

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  07:20:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*doh* a typo on my part, turn Off "Get content from default Intellisense" for the list to appear automatically when you type the dot, turn it on to see this problem.

I could not find any other VA options that had any effect on listboxes not appearing as expected when you type a dot.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  09:54:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright. That works. After switching it off, I get the suggestions automatically. But now I'm a bit confused and have to ask some dumb questions again. At first, shouldn't it work also when "Get content from default Intellisense" is turned on? What exactly is the difference when turning that option on/off? And do we still have any open problems or do you see all problems I mentioned so far?

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  1:28:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This has got a little confusing, so asking questions is good, *not* dumb

I checked a couple of old versions of VA, including 1301, and all of them have the same "feature" that turning off "Get content from default Intellisense" means you have to press CTRL-SPACE to see a listbox after a dot. This does not seem right to me so I have put in a case for this.

In the test project I sent you a copy of, both me and the developers are seeing the problem with the merged listbox, where the structure items (should be there) are listed along side the other items - which should not be there. There is a case in for this.

I think you are seeing the same behaviour in the test project.

From memory you are only seeing the wrong members in the listboxes in your main code, without this merging effect, which so far I have been unable to reproduce. I am hoping the second case will fix this problem as well for you, but to be honest I don't know if it will or not.

It would nice if I could reproduce this problem (only the wrong items listed), so we can try and fix it, but I am not sure where to start. I had wondered if the "no listbox after dot" problem was related, which was why I tracked it down, but it seems it is not related.

Does this make sense?

*edit to fix typo*

Edited by - feline on Feb 14 2007 1:37:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  02:23:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the summary! So far, I think I'll wait for a fix of the first two problems now. If the remaining problem (only wrong items listed) is then still there, then I will come back for that. Ah, there was one more point: I mentioned the case where even Ctrl+Space stopped working after a dot. I assume that this is nearly impossible to reproduce for you, because it can be a side effect of the remaining problem. But maybe you can note this as a "maybe related" problem. And, please, don't give the cases the lowest priority. The problems are really slowing me down.

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  09:49:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have put case=961 (the wrong items in the listbox) down as fairly urgent.

Are you able to turn off Get content from default Intellisense? Or does this cause to many additional problems?

Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2007 :  02:02:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course, I can turn it off, but this only means that I don't have to push Ctrl+Space any more. What's more serious is that the suggestions are wrong.

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2007 :  08:33:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The listbox problem is being looked into, but so far the bug report has not been updated with any further progress. If we don't see anything in a week or two remind me and I will go ask what is happening. I do agree that this is a serious problem.

Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2007 :  9:16:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marcus: Regarding the incorrect listbox contents, after pressing ctrl+space and seeing incorrect contents, does invoking a manual reparse have any affect on the list for you? (reparse should be one of the default buttons on the va toolbar)
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  02:12:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, hitting the "Reparse Current File" button doesn't help. I tried it at least 100 times since I faced the problem for the first time, but it didn't change anything.

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  2:09:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the instance declared in a header file? If so, you would have to reparse that file instead of where you are using the instance.
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  02:06:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course, I tried to reparse the header file, too. It doesn't change anything. And I guess that when I restart the IDE and freshly open the workspace that the files I open are automatically reparsed, aren't they?

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  12:59:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depending on your settings the files should only be re-parsed if they have changed since last time VA parsed them, e.g. new versions have been checked out from source control.

You may find turning on:

VA Options -> Performance -> General -> Parse all headers when opening a project

helps.

Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  02:03:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, I see. But the option "Parse all headers when opening a project" is always on for me.

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  08:29:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*sigh* It is almost as if you are seeing a different problem in your main solution. I have already wondered if this was the case, but proving it really needs the problem we have reproduced to be fixed first, so we can see if the fix helps.

Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  12:44:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it's a help I am also experience the same problem as 4733 with vector template class using operator [].

Turning on "Get content from default intellisence" helps populate completion listbox for vector.

But the same problem: VAX do not recognises the symbol, so VAX's own find references also do NOT work.

So fixing case=4733 will be propably a help for khb also. (maybe in next build )

The parser is the soul of VAX, so eliminating a parser bug is always a GREAT thing

Edited by - accord on Feb 24 2007 12:48:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  03:07:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just tried 1548. Same result as before. "Get content from default intellisence" on: No suggestion at all after typing dot. Ctrl-Space helps. "Get content from default intellisence" off: Suggestions are shown directly. But in both cases I don't get the correct suggestions. The members of the objects stored in the vector are still not shown.

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  12:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately this is as expected. case=961, the problem with the wrong items being shown in the listboxes has not yet been fixed.

Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  12:54:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I expected that, too. I just wanted to inform you.

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  1:08:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update. If we don't see some motion on this soon I will go and ask how this is going.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  02:46:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=961 is fixed in Build 1614
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly