1548 "A critical error occured..." problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TheRawGod

11 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  1:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear VAX team,
I have a problem that seems to be related to one of the changes you made to VAX in these latest builds (1547, 1548): cache files moved to user directories. May be wrong of course.

It reproduces in such way: during MSVS2005 load I receive a message: "A critical error occured while initializing Visual Assist X".
That started to happen when I installed build 1547. With 1548 the situation is the same.
I use WinXP SP2. VAX've been working on my machine for a very long time before without any problems like this.

On my machine I have 2 active user accounts: my own one, with administrative privilleges and a guest one.
I tried to reinstall VAX many times but it didn't help.

The issue may be connected somehow with the following fact: some long time before I have changed the name of my user account. Maybe somewhere in the system the old name may be still referred and VAX uses exactly it? Consequently it may search for unexisting user folder or something like that.
More preciously the situation is such that path to my actual user directory does not contain my username (when the username was changed the user directory was not renamed).
E.g. originally I had a user called "x" with the path to it's directory: "c:\\Documents and Settings\\x". Later I changed the username to "xxx", but user directory path remained the same: "c:\\Documents and Settings\\x".
Though I have never experienced such problems with any other software (I've installed a lot of).

Thanks in advance for the help.

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  1:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please produce a log and send it in using the instructions at:
http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305
Go to Top of Page

TheRawGod

11 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  1:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sean,

thanks for your reply. I've just made a request with my "startup.log" attached. As I've described in the request I can't find "va.log" file anywhere on my hard drive.

Dmitry.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  1:46:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
duh! That was silly of me. But it's Saturday morning, so you get what you get...

I'll take a look at the log you sent and respond from there.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  3:30:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you open the Run dialog (Windows Key + R) and run the command %USERPROFILE% this should open a directory. Does it? If so which directory? On my winXP machine it opened the directory C:\\Documents and Settings\\Administrator

Are other programs working successfully for you, writing their data to:

C:\\Documents and Settings\\<USERNAME>\\Application Data\
What you say makes a lot of sense, I am just wondering why it would be tripping VA up, and if it is just us, or other programs as well.

As a temporary work around can you try creating the missing directory tree?

c:\\Documents and Settings\\xxx\c:\\Documents and Settings\\xxx\\Application Data\c:\\Documents and Settings\\xxx\\Local Settings\\Application Data\
If this fixes the problem this will suggest this really is the cause.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

TheRawGod

11 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2007 :  09:54:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Feline, thanks for the reply!

Running %USERPROFILE% command opens "C:\\Documents and Settings\\x" directory, i.e. an existing actual path to my user directory.

The workaround you proposed also came to my mind:)
I tried it but unfortunately it didn't help:( I'm having just the same problems.

Additionally I can see VAX startup log on the following path: "c:\\Documents and Settings\\x\\Local Settings\\Application Data\\VisualAssist\\Startup.log" . That means that at least at this point (during startup log initialization) VAX uses the correct directory. By the way, no other VAX files but the init log and its backup can be found in my home directroy (no directories prepared to store cache, nothing).

Also I have received some directions on my email as a response to my request containing the startup log (case 5243).
Now I'll do what I've been asked there and send results as a reply to that email.
Go to Top of Page

waday

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  10:23:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it helps any, I have encountered the same problem. VS 2003 and VS2005 with v1547 & v1548.

XP Pro SP2
1GB Ram
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  11:57:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interim fix is here:

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/VA_X1548_1.zip

Backup your current 1548 version of va_x.dll and extract the copy in this zip to your VA installation directory.

Edited by - sean on Feb 26 2007 3:14:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

waday

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  3:30:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sean. Mine is running now with that new DLL.
Go to Top of Page

TheRawGod

11 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  4:18:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I've already reported to Sean the solution worked for me as well.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  6:57:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=5243
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts