Please: Highlight current line
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ingenious

25 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  6:52:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I am working on a big monitor and extensively write long code macros. I really miss the "highlight current line" in Visual Studio. I know I can get it from other free addins, and I've tried this, but they are not written well and this feature really slows down the text editor. I trust you guys to write a better one. And I think many people will support me with this suggestion.

Bye for now and keep up the good work

schoenherr
Tomato Guru

Germany
160 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  12:43:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i beleave this is a well known feature request, but it requires changing the background color and for some reasons the whole tomato team has the courage to do that.
but neverthless i support this suggestion
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  08:01:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Highlighting the current line is a fairly popular request, but it is also a hard thing to do. Until Find References, and Highlight All was introduced VA never tried to change the background colour at all. Remember that we are not in control of the IDE, we are sneaking around behind the IDE's back. Also, if you have ever used Highlight All then you will know that it still has some quirks. Personally I love this feature, but it does show that this background highlighting is tricky.

case=51

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

ingenious

25 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  08:54:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Highlighting the current line is a fairly popular request, but it is also a hard thing to do. Until Find References, and Highlight All was introduced VA never tried to change the background colour at all. Remember that we are not in control of the IDE, we are sneaking around behind the IDE's back. Also, if you have ever used Highlight All then you will know that it still has some quirks. Personally I love this feature, but it does show that this background highlighting is tricky.

case=51

OK then. Is it at least possible to draw a horizontal line below the text along the current line? I think it is, and it even should be easy.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  11:51:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting, I have updated the case with this suggestion.

Go to Top of Page

ingenious

25 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  12:08:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting, I have updated the case with this suggestion.

Thanks for the quick reply!

BTW, ReSharper has this feature and it works pretty fast. I just tried it and it doesn't slow down the navigation as the SlickEdit Free Gadget does. Unfortunately, ReSharper is messing with VAssist X and VS, and the whole IDE became slower because of that.

Nevertheless, this proves that it _is_ actually possible to have this feature. I'm a bit sceptic about JetBrains willing to give any insight for how they do it though :)

Edited by - ingenious on Mar 06 2007 12:08:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  12:45:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe that ReSharper does not support VC6. We do, and have to stop and think how any given feature will be implemented across VC6, VS2002, VS2003 and VS2005, assuming we try to target all IDE's for a particular feature.

Not a complete answer, but it does mean that direct comparisons between different products can be tricky

Go to Top of Page

ingenious

25 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  1:23:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I believe that ReSharper does not support VC6. We do, and have to stop and think how any given feature will be implemented across VC6, VS2002, VS2003 and VS2005, assuming we try to target all IDE's for a particular feature.

Not a complete answer, but it does mean that direct comparisons between different products can be tricky

Well, yes, of course. I am not comparing products at all. Just wanted to point out that this is possible in VS2005 without waiting for MS to do something about it.

Still, I am really curious how they do it.

P.S. I personally find VAssist much more useful, because I mainly code in C++, and VAssist is well-known for its outstanding C++ support.

All best!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000