Technical Support
 Bug report: "override" suggestion list is broken
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n0ShadowsFall

2 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  04:19:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently upgraded VisualAssist X from version 10.2.1440.0 to 10.3.1548.0. With the new version, it appears that the suggestion list shown after the override keyword is broken in several ways:

1. It does not contain the complete list of override-able members from the base class
2. The tool tip that is displayed next to the selected member is incorrect
3. Accepting the list does not auto-generate the full stub for the selected member

A few notes about my setup:
  • Using Visual Studio 2005
  • Using C#
  • "Display suggestion lists" VA option is enabled
  • "Show completion list after a character is typed" VS2005 option is enabled
Here are some screenshots to illustrate these problems:

Screenshot #1:
This show bugs #1 an #2 mentioned above. Notice the suggestion list does not contain common Form overrides such as OnLoad() or OnResize(). Notice also that that the tool tip shows the documentation for the Control.AutoScrollOffset property, instead
of for the Control.OnControlAdded() method.

Screenshot #2
This shows bug #3 mentioned above. This is the code after accepting the OnControlAdded() item from the suggestion list pictured above. Notice how the method return type and body stub are not added.

Screenshot #3
This show the suggestion list with VisualAssist X turned off. Notice it contains the complete list of members and the tool tip is correct.

Screenshot #4
This shows the code that was generated when the OnControlAdded() member was accepted with VisualAssist X turned off. Notice the entire method stub is generated.

I have tried restarting VS2005 several times, but the problems mentioned above still reproduce. Could this be caused by a configuration issue on my end, or perhaps a botched upgrade? Or are these genuine bugs in the latest release? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks all.

~n0ShadowsFall

macke

Sweden
46 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  09:04:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can reproduce this bug on my end as well.

• VS2005

• VB.NET

- Marcus Stade -
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  1:27:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am seeing the same effect here. Thank you for the very clear description! I have done some checking, the problem does not show up in VA 1544, so you may want to roll back to that build for now.

case=5493

macke I am not having any success reproducing this in VB, VS2005, with VA 1548. I have a default VB windows form project with the following "Form1.vb" file:

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

DialogResult = Windows.Forms.DialogResult.OK
        Dim sb As New System.Text.StringBuilder()

End Sub

override on|
End Class

Here when I type "override on" I cannot get any suggestions at all from the IDE. I assume I am using the wrong syntax, since it is some years since I have done any amount of work with VB. What should I be typing to reproduce this problem?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

n0ShadowsFall

2 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  7:25:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks feline, build 1544 does seem to work just fine. It's nice to see you guys can reproduce the bug. As a QA engineer that always makes me smile :).

~n0ShadowsFall
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  12:09:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We do try, but there are times when reproducing the bug reports is close to impossible. I always dislike those ones, since it makes it remarkably hard to fix the problem.

Go to Top of Page

macke

Sweden
46 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  8:25:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline
macke I am not having any success reproducing this in VB, VS2005, with VA 1548. I have a default VB windows form project with the following "Form1.vb" file:

Try appending an "s" to "override" and it should work. This is probably unrelated to suggestion boxes, but I'm still experiances compiler crashes every now and then. As with the last time, I'm a bit puzzled as to if it's actually VA to blame. It hasn't occurred once when accepting a suggestion however, so it seems you nailed that one pretty spot on! Great work!

I'll try to find a reproducible case and send over the source files to you, I know these kinda bugs sucks big time so I'll try to make sure I get as much info as I can when I find it.

- Marcus Stade -
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2007 :  4:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Case 5493 is fixed in build 1549.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  09:25:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you macke, that fixes my test. I am able to reproduce the problem in VB with VA 1548, and it is fixed with VA 1549 in VB as well as C#

Go to Top of Page

macke

Sweden
46 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2007 :  10:07:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Thank you macke, that fixes my test. I am able to reproduce the problem in VB with VA 1548, and it is fixed with VA 1549 in VB as well as C#

Confirmed, works fine now. Top notch support as always, thanks a bundle! =)

- Marcus Stade -
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000