Technical Support
 VS2005 built in autorecover broken
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JohnCrenshaw

18 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2007 :  2:04:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The built in autorecover feature is broken. I believe this is an effect of SP1, or it may be that I am running Vista, or it could be something else. Anyway, I reamed MS about it and it looks like I can expect a fix in a couple of years if they ever find out what's wrong. In the mean time, could you allow all of us VS 2005 users to enable the VAX auto-recover? You disabled this for VS2005 some time ago because it is "built into the IDE". Since the built in feature no longer works in all (any?) cases, the reason for disabling this is no longer valid.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  08:25:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Under what conditions is this broken?

Using VS2005 + SP1 on a win2k machine I have just tested this. I set the IDE to save auto recovery information every 1 minute, made a change to a test file, then after waiting 3 or 4 minutes I killed the IDE using task manager.

When I reloaded the IDE and the project the IDE prompted me, and recovered my changes.

For reference this was disabled in VS2005 via case=583

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness

Edited by - feline on Mar 19 2007 08:36:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

JohnCrenshaw

18 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  12:36:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Under what conditions is this broken?

Using VS2005 + SP1 on a win2k machine I have just tested this. I set the IDE to save auto recovery information every 1 minute, made a change to a test file, then after waiting 3 or 4 minutes I killed the IDE using task manager.

When I reloaded the IDE and the project the IDE prompted me, and recovered my changes.

For reference this was disabled in VS2005 via case=583

I don't know how to reproduce the exact requirements, all I know is that I meet them. Sometimes when VS is terminates, the backup folder is completely gone, this seems to only happen in a multiple instance situation. Even when I am only running a single instance and have files in the backup folder however, the prompt never comes up. All I am asking for is an option to say "since the VS2005 autorecover isn't working, or since I don't trust MS, or just because this software is the best thing ever, I want to use the VAX autorecover." Leave it disabled by default in VS2005, but PLEASE let me turn it on, even if I can only do it with regedit, PLEASE let me have my autorecover back.

I looked and couldn't find any case 583 so I don't know what the issues were, just what the history of changes and fixes says, which is that it was disabled because it was redundant. At least for me, this isn't redundant anymore. I don't know why, but the built in autorecover absolutely does not work on some computers, mine included.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  1:03:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might find versions of edited files in this directory after a crash:
C:\\Users\\<username>\\AppData\\Local\\VisualAssist\\vs8\\history

If you have experienced a crash, make sure to check it before you restart the IDE.
Go to Top of Page

JohnCrenshaw

18 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  3:27:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sean

You might find versions of edited files in this directory after a crash:
C:\\Users\\<username>\\AppData\\Local\\VisualAssist\\vs8\\history

If you have experienced a crash, make sure to check it before you restart the IDE.

So even if VAX doesn't do the autorecover thing, it DOES still keep a history of the modified files?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  4:10:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are two different pieces of code at work here. Piece 1 makes the history of modified files, while piece 2 is in charge of detecting something went wrong and offering up the saved copy of the file.

Instead of modifying two pieces of code only one was modified (piece 2), which was the smallest and safest change that did the job.

Go to Top of Page

JohnCrenshaw

18 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  5:49:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

There are two different pieces of code at work here. Piece 1 makes the history of modified files, while piece 2 is in charge of detecting something went wrong and offering up the saved copy of the file.

Instead of modifying two pieces of code only one was modified (piece 2), which was the smallest and safest change that did the job.

Makes sense. At the risk of sounding pushy, is there any chance of getting you to modify that small safe place again? Just let me manually turn it back on via regedit and I'll sing sonnets about how wonderful it is to have a whole tomato
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  12:30:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have re-opened case=583 for you. Obviously loosing work since the IDE's recovery is not reliable is unhelpful.

Go to Top of Page

JohnCrenshaw

18 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  1:54:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have re-opened case=583 for you. Obviously loosing work since the IDE's recovery is not reliable is unhelpful.

Thanks a million, where is it possible to see this case=583? Is this visible via some online post or is this just an internal number?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  2:10:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FAQ answer:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W318

if this does not turn up in the next build remind me and I will chaise this. It is a fairly basic change, but it could produce some "odd" edge cases when both VA and the IDE both want to recover a file, so initially it could be a "try this and tell us how it works" change

Go to Top of Page

JohnCrenshaw

18 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  3:19:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic! I don't think I can say thank you enough.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  11:53:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fixed in Build 1553.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page