Alt+O should cycle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  06:03:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new Alt+O behaviour is much better than the old one. Now I can get to the .inl files pretty easily. But it would be even better if it would cycle between all available files! So if I have a .cpp, a .h and a .inl file, with three presses of "Alt+O, Enter" I would see all of them. At the moment, the .h and .inl files are the default on the popup menu, so accessing the .cpp file requires a press of the down arrow key. A minor point, perhaps, but if you have to do it every time... :)

Thanks!

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18951 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  08:15:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem with cycling is that people will then complain that they want to be able to select the file to jump to.

One solution is to order the entries in the alt-o menu. Assuming we have the three files:

test_alt_o.cpp
test_alt_o.h
test_alt_o.inl

in alphabetic order, then cycle the current file the "top" of the list, then remove it, the default item on the alt-o menu will always be the "next" file. Does this make sense? Would this do what you want?

Of course the problem with this change is that it is a change, so there is probably someone who likes the current ordering of the menu.

For now have you considered having two alt-o features? One is VA's alt-o, and use the "Swap .h<->.cpp" component from this article on the occasions it is more useful:

http://www.codeproject.com/macro/kingstools.asp

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  6:19:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, cycling was kind of what I meant. (Sorry, I posted in the middle of doing some coding where it was getting in my way a little!)

Let's say you have 3 files -- x.cpp, x.h and x.inl. When you press Alt+O in x.h, say, you get a menu with x.inl and x.cpp (in that order). When you press Alt+O in x.inl, you get a menu with x.cpp and x.h (in that order). And in x.cpp, you get x.h and x.inl (in that order). So, by pressing Alt+O then Enter enough times you will get to the file you want.

(The exact order is irrelevant, of course -- the cycling is the important part!)

Depends on the person, I guess, but when it comes to editor actions I'd rather have to do the same thing twice (and not have to think) than spend time thinking just so I potentially only have to do it once. That way I don't get distracted, and the opposite philosophy has more time to manifest itself in my code ;)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18951 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  08:36:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wanted to make sure we were thinking of the same thing. This makes a lot of sense to me, I have put in a feature request for this:

case=5828

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  1:46:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great stuff. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly