Feature Requests
 CurrentLine (VAX) coloring
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RickHodgin

44 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  06:28:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just observed an interesting problem with the CurrentLine (VAX) coloring in VS2003 Professional (havent tried it in 2005 yet). I switched from Courier New, 10 to Lucida Console, 9 and the current line highlighting box is now partially overwriting the upper-most pixels of the written text. Letters like f are having the top-most parts overwritten by the current line indicator. In the case of f, the flat glyph extending right from the main middle bar at the top is being overwritten, making it look odd. My brain is having a hard time recognizing what letter it is and I have to derive it from context. It's making it difficult to read on occasion. I've actually had to move my cursor line up a couple lines to get it far enough away to read the line clearly before going back.

So, I was thinking an option to provide highlighting coordinate slack might be nice, such as "Pixels to extend above the current line" or "Pixels to extend below the current line" for the current line highlighting. In my case, choosing values of 1, 0 would work fine, and possibly even 1, -1 because the bottom portion of the highlighting box always seems to be down just slightly.

Just a thought. If it's easy to do it might be a nice feature.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18940 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  07:45:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am seeing the same thing. Selecting the current line shows the same edge / clipping effect, so this is definitely something about this font.

You might want to try changing to the Bitstream Vera Sans Mono font, which is quite popular, once you get used to it, and it is easier to read with the dotted line turned on:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W145

In the next build of VA (due in the next few days) you can choose the style used to highlight the current line in the VA options dialog, including changing the background colour, which works around this problem.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

RickHodgin

44 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  11:16:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
In the next build of VA (due in the next few days) you can choose the style used to highlight the current line in the VA options dialog, including changing the background colour, which works around this problem.

Even better! I thought that the previous thread said that solution was more difficult, hence the dotted line solution. Glad to see the coloring is available.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18940 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  11:23:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be warned that if you choose background colouring then VA does not apply any enhanced colouring to the current, coloured, line.

Go to Top of Page

RickHodgin

44 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  11:25:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Be warned that if you choose background colouring then VA does not apply any enhanced colouring to the current, coloured, line.

Is there any way to apply enhanced coloring? Because the color I would choose would just be a visible cue, not a significant color. It would be something on the order of RGB(255,255,235) or RGB(255,235,255) (soft yellow or cyan).
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18940 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  12:56:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have put in a feature request for this, but it is not a high priority change.

case=6015

Go to Top of Page

RickHodgin

44 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  10:17:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I have put in a feature request for this; case=6015

I'm curious why syntax highlighting for the current line wasn't an option when the solid background color is used?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18940 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  07:40:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Partly due to time constraints, and partly since we cannot assume that your standard colour scheme will be readable if the background highlighting is changed.

Offer it, and I suspect it will not be long before someone asks for a completely different set of syntax highlighting colours for the highlighted line.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000