1000+ entries in suggestion lists w/ VS2005 + C#
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tgrand

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  10:54:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I use VAX in VS2005, I get over 1000 entries in the suggestion list that appears when I type a single character on a new line of code. Showing these huge suggestion lists after only one character is both useless and time consuming enough to make the IDE feel sluggish. It delays visibility of subsequently typed characters and even their resulting suggestion lists.

To reproduce the problem, you can use the following simple procedure:

1) Run VS2003 or VS2005
2) Create a new C# Windows Application
3) Create a new blank line at the end of Form1() and type the letter 's'
In VS2003, a list of 4 entries appears immediately.
In VS2005, a list of approximately 1080 entries appears after a few hundred milliseconds. (Or a few seconds if it's not cached or the system is otherwise loaded.)

I observed the problem for sure in builds 1048 and 1553, but I think it's been around for awhile. I haven't needed to use VS2005 much until recently. Also, I tried disabling Visual Studio's intellisense via the DLL-renaming method but it didn't make any difference. (But I like having VS not waste time anymore gathering intellisense info - thanks for that tip in the FAQ!)

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  12:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using VS2005 and VA 1553, with VA enabled, I tried this and I am seeing:

I then closed the IDE, stopped VA from loading at all, using the registry key described here:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W306

and repeated the test, and I am seeing:

Based on this it seems this is working correctly for me. However you are mentioning a suggestion list, is this a VA suggestion listbox, with question mark icons? Or the list I am seeing here?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

tgrand

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  2:01:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, you're absolutely right. It's not VA which is doing this, and "suggestion list" was the wrong terminology. I get exactly the results you've shown. Somewhere along the way I lost sight of what VS is doing vs. what VA is doing.

It seems intellisense got dumber in VS2005. I can resolve the problem by disabling "Auto list members" under Statement Completion in the Text Editor section of the VS options. I'll just have to use Ctrl+Space to bring up the list as needed. It's too bad - I thought this worked pretty well in VS2003.

Thanks for the quick response, and sorry to have wasted your time with a VS problem. If anyone knows how to get the "Auto list members" functionality in VS2005 without these long and premature listboxes, I'd love to hear from you.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  2:03:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For C#, content of completion listboxes and member listbox comes from default Intellisense. VA X only displays the content within enhanced listboxes.

VA X always determines the content of suggestion lists, i.e. the boxes with icons of question marks, but those lists never have but a few items.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000