Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sl@sh
Tomato Guru

Switzerland
204 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  08:29:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

To be honest, after thinking about my suggestion below, I wasn't really sure it made sense. Still, maybe others feel like I first did when first I had the idea - so I decided I present it nonetheless. I can perfectly understand if you don't go along with it though :

When I read the announcement about build 1554, there were two facts that somehow drew my attention:
  • This build 'replaces' build 1553
  • It requires software maintenance through 2007.04.22.

What bugged me about this, is that a few nice things were introduced with 1553 (nothing major, but some people obviously were quite happy about it), but 1553 only required software maintenance through 2007.04.13, whereas the new build which replaces build 1553 now requires SW mainteneance through 2007.04.22.

Personally I am not concerned, but for someone who's maintenance just expired this could be a little disappointing, since build 1553 is no longer available for download. He might have loved the new features from build 1553 but cannot download it - even if he wouldn't have minded the regressions introduced in that build.

Wouldn't it be fair to someone like that to either give him the opportunity to download the older version (build 1553) even though it has some bugs - or, as an alternative set the required maintenance date of the replacement build to the same date as the build that got replaced?

Does that make sense to anyone?

(and no, this is of no consequence to me - my copy's maintenance still lasts for a while and very likely will be extended )

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18941 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  09:01:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The main download page does not list all builds, any "problem" builds - normally the problems are quite minor - are removed to avoid extra work for support.

However I normally have a copy archived for testing purposes, so I can run through a set of builds and say "it broke in build xxx"

As a result, on the very rare occasions someone contacts support directly looking for a specific build I can often dig it out and email it to them as a zip file.

Maintenance expiring vs using beta versions, this is something we would discuss if / when it turned out to be a problem.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000