Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Esone
Tomato Guru

Russia
115 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  10:38:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VA Outline is great!
To become really useful, it needs to track the current position in source file with selection in VA Outline. Thus, when the C++ source code editor has the focus, and the cursor in the certain function or namespace scope, then this function or namespace should be highlighted with some dark-gray background color in the VA Outline window.

Thank you.

Edited by - Esone on Jun 01 2007 05:23:06 AM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  4:06:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An appealing idea, I have put in a feature request for this:

case=6435

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Esone
Tomato Guru

Russia
115 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  04:05:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW, the sync works for certain function or namespace when you edit something within them. In that case the focus in VA Outline gets repositioned. But I believe that it should work as I simply navigate through the source code, not only for edit.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  07:26:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*prods live outline* I am seeing the same thing. I have not spent much time with it yet, busy studying other things

Go to Top of Page

Esone
Tomato Guru

Russia
115 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  07:36:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I can't translate this phrase: "*prods live outline*". Should be something funny, but even Google didn't help. :)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  08:27:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ran some tests on it Often known as prod, prodding, poking, or seeing what happens when I just do random things

Go to Top of Page

Esone
Tomato Guru

Russia
115 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  09:32:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, now I see!
Go to Top of Page

Esone
Tomato Guru

Russia
115 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  05:26:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1557 version haven't brought any changes here. The current position of the cursor in a source file is not being tracked in VA Outline view.

I mean that it should work just like VS Solution Explorer tracks current files, when the option "Options->Projects and Solutions->General->Track Active Item in Solution Explorer" is selected.

Is it going to be fixed soon(case=6435)?

Edited by - Esone on Jun 01 2007 05:30:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  10:06:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If this was deliberately fixed in 1557 then this thread would have been updated with that information. Sometimes bugs are fixed as side effects of other changes, so we do not at first realise we have fixed them, so these fixes are not announced.

We are looking into making this change, but I have no estimate on time scale yet.

Go to Top of Page

Esone
Tomato Guru

Russia
115 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  10:19:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, now I see your workflow.
I just wanted to note that this case=6435 is very important for productive use of VA Outline.
Go to Top of Page

Esone
Tomato Guru

Russia
115 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  10:39:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
May be that tip is redundant, but nevertheless:

When "Auto Update" is turned on in VA Outline, than it tracks well the position in the source file, when some editing happens in this position. I suppose that in order to enable such tracking for navigation(no editing), the same notifications should be sent to VA Outline when cursor is moving within the source file.

Edited by - Esone on Jun 01 2007 10:40:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  2:43:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not exactly... When you are editing the file, the Outline refreshes the whole tree (I think VAX rebuilds it)
When you are moving with your caret, it is enough to select the right item in the tree (faster, and there is no blinking)

Am I right?
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  2:51:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, that is right. When you are editing, the outline is rebuilt when VA parses the changes. We would not want to rebuild the whole tree every time you move the caret.
Go to Top of Page

Esone
Tomato Guru

Russia
115 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  06:49:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sean

Yes, that is right. When you are editing, the outline is rebuilt when VA parses the changes. We would not want to rebuild the whole tree every time you move the caret.

Guys, I am very hoping that you will find a smart solution here.
Go to Top of Page

Esone
Tomato Guru

Russia
115 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  08:43:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Build-by-build so desirable feature of sync-ing cursor position in the source code with VA Outline isn't getting born. As I understood, when I edit smth in the source, the whole VA Outline tree gets rebuilt. To do same for every cursor movement within the source file seems expensive.

I propose to bind this synchronization to left-mouse double-click in the source file. Whenever I want to see in VA Outline current position, I just double-click there.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  09:03:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One answer to this is where do we focus limited resources?

There are a lot of outstanding bug reports and feature requests, and deciding which should be done first is sometimes difficult.

Go to Top of Page

Esone
Tomato Guru

Russia
115 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  09:51:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe you should list most resource-consuming tasks on the forum/website and organise users' poll + discussion to help set priorities?

From the top of my head, I would vote first for a couple of things I miss in VAX so much:

1. Auto-sync cursor in src and VA Outline.(this topic)

2. In Find references result window, show the context of each found item.
(http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5299)

3. In Find references result window, highlight the searched symbol in results. Not only in the src files, but in Find references results ALSO.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  11:42:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of these are things we are working on internally.

The problem with something like this is that the forum users are not "average" users, and most of them are not going to vote for "it crashes when I do X in a C# project" simply because they are not effected by this bug.

We do listen to our users, and what people are most interested in, or effected by, and we try to address these issues first. After all, this is only sensible

Turning to Find References, we have had far more interest in multiple Find References Results windows than we have had in syntax highlighting within the window. Yes people are interested in this, and would certainly like it, but it is not the most common request I am seeing here.

Plus a poll with several hundred items would be rather difficult to sensibly manage, and we have that many outstanding requests at the moment.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000