Feature Requests
 AutoText in comments
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zelka2member

7 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  02:49:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are using JavaDoc in our C++ project. We modified AutoText to support /// and /** */ comments, we modified "Document Method" operation to suit our policies, etc, so far so good.

We also created autotext entries as @brief, @see, @deprecated, @link, etc with shortcut "@" to make writing of JavaDoc easier. But autotext does not work in comments at all.

Would it be possible to add checkbox to allow autotext in comments (or something similar) ?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  07:45:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had the same experience. From here:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/autotext.asp

The only special characters that may appear in the shortcut are ones that begin C/C++ comments, hyphen and #. If a shortcut begins with comment characters, only hyphen, slash or plus may follow the comment characters.

So my solution was to add several autotext entries, all with the shortcut //- and the text:

// @brief
// @see
// @deprecated
// @link

and so on, and to order them in the autotext dialog tree control, so that the ones I wanted to use most often came first. The ordering of the items in the tree determines the order they will be shown in the autotext menu.

My concern with enabling autotext in comments, even with an option, is that comments are so "free text" that people will keep on triggering listboxes when they don't want them.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

zelka2member

7 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  08:21:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I already have your proposed solution, only I have shortcut /// instead of //- which works and is "JavaDoc compliant".

My "problem" is in writing JavaDoc inside of existing block comment:

/**

*/

Where it would be nice if after pressing @ a list of JavaDoc tags appears and probably after pressing < a list of html tags appears. List of functions/members in current/specified class to enter body of links (@see or @link tags) would also help.

But I agree that those are not "must be" features.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  08:28:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you press CTRL-SPACE in a comment you can manually trigger a completion listbox, which is idea when typing function and variable names in a comment, which should be quite helpful for both your @see and @link items.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000