New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - May 18 2007 :  02:40:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just had the problem again, that the refactoring icon didn't want to show up. Sometimes it showed up, but a bit away from the symbol I was pointing to. The tooltips worked normally and the IDE ran rather fluently.

Therefore, I took a look at the task manager and saw that there was a process consuming 50% CPU usage on my HT machine. I guess we all know that this means that there isn't really much CPU usage left. The process was "AdobeUpdater.exe" of the Acrobat Reader 8.0. I found out that if it starts, it runs forever, so I guess it has problems to access the web on our "system architecture" and stays busy. After I killed that process, the refactoring icon worked perfectly again.

I, therefore, guess that refactoring runs on a lower priority than, e.g., the tooltips. It would be nice if these "pop-ups" would behave in a similar way, even if resources are low. I assume that this isn't easy for you to realize, but the current solution bugged me several weeks now. I know that the reason is the buggy Adobe Updater, but even in such situations refactoring shouldn't just stop working, while the rest of the IDE seems to work quite fine.

Regards,
Marcus.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 18 2007 :  08:26:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For you PDF reading needs you may find this is a suitable replacement:

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

The CPU effect, VA's parser is deliberately designed to run without impacting the rest of your system, and especially without stopping you typing. So it tries hard not to compete with other processes that need the CPU. The way the default intellisense scanner in VS2005 "eats" the CPU is a very common complaint.

I am not quite sure what to suggest here. I understand that this is a problem in this situation, but at the same time when your CPU is being hammered by some rogue process various things tend to run painfully slowly.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - May 18 2007 :  09:14:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for recommending another PDF reader. Until I give it a try I found a workaround on the web how to disable the updater. So this specific problem is solved for now.

Regarding the general performance issue: I totally understand that you have difficulties to suggest something. My main intention was to share my findings with you or other people that may have similar problems.

But I have an idea: Maybe you can make the "whole tomato" to change its color to red(!) when there are too few resources left to keep VA running in a sensible way

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 18 2007 :  11:16:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have put in a case for this idea. Certainly it applies while VA is still building its symbol database, since it is not much help during this phase. Detecting that everything is running very slowly... this may be rather hard to do reliably.

My initial thought is to change the colour / appearance of the Go button on the context / definition field bar, since this is normally always visible. There are not many other obvious candidates to indicate this status.

case=6665

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  02:12:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for considering this! Maybe another small icon next to the "Go" button would also be an idea.

Regards,
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000