Close files opened during debugging
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dmmiller2k

USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  11:38:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Under VC++ 6.0, I use VA X with WndTabs.

I have grown accustomed to a WndTabsExt feature whereby files from the developer studio INCLUDE path that were opened while stepping through code in the debugger are automatically closed when debugging is done.

It really reduces the clutter. This would be especially useful in VS.NET 2003, where WndTabs (let alone WndTabsExt) is not an option and the built-in tabbed interface doesn't:

1) allow C++ files to be grouped tegether with their corresponding header files as single tabs with sub-tabs,
2) allow quickly closing files by middle-clicking on their tabs,

which WndTabExt provides (under VC++ 6.0).

I was wondering if the feature might be added to VA X such that files from the INCLUDE path that opened while stepping through code during debugging are automatically closed when debugging ends.

Remember N.O.R.A. (No one remembers acronyms)

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  2:33:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is an interesting idea. I have put in a feature request to see what the developers make of this:

case=6783

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

dmmiller2k

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  08:08:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks.

Of course, the other two other useful features I mentioned above from WndTabs under VC++ 6.0 would be nice too:

1) The ability to close a tab by middle-clicking on it.

2) The ability to specify that the tabs automatically rearrange so source files and their respective header files (and *.INL, *.CC, etc.) somehow group together, and to allow such groups to be closed with a single action (i.e., middle-click).

Remember N.O.R.A. (No one remembers acronyms)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  09:44:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are discussing the idea of enhancing the tab list of files internally. The idea and some of the considerations came up in this thread:

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6261

Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  5:50:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The most wanted tab feature for me is to specify the maximum number of tabs opened. If I specify a maximum number of tabs to 10, if I open a file when 10 tabs are visible, VAX should hide the tab that was used most rarely. This feature was present in WndTabs.

This is because I NEVER want to scrolling tabs... When the tab is NOT in the screen I simply start using ALT+SHIFT+O (a great VAX feature )
Go to Top of Page

sl@sh
Tomato Guru

Switzerland
204 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  04:14:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Talking about tabs, here's another idea although I don't really know if VAX can do this:

I often have dozens of document windows open at a time, and because I stop seeing their titles once they range past the right edge of my window I also try to sort them on multiple tab rows. Unfortunately, since the height of my screen is limited, once I get to the third tab row I always end up resizing the document tab row I am currently working on.

Moreover, when I jump to a certain file, e. g. via find references or the HCW, this file might already be open on one of the tab rows that is currently 'minimized' - resulting in a long delay while I try to spot where in hell the active document now is located - just discerning it by highlighted tab header is sometimes hard! And once I found it, I need to resize my tab rows again, and sometimes even scroll to find the reference I originally wanted to jump to.

The feature I was imagining is this: Whenever a document that is already opened gains the focus, the tab rows not containing that document should be 'minimized', while the one containing it maximized (relative to the other tab rows, not effecting non-document windows). Of course, sometimes someone might want to be see two documents simultaneously, maybe for copying or moving stuff. So it should still be possible to (temporarily?) suppress that behaviour.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  08:19:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am starting to get the feeling that we are going to get a *lot* of feature requests if we try to enhance the tab bar

My personal experience is that once you get past 4 or 5 open files the tab bar starts to become a problem, and once you hit 20 open files it is a joke.

But what to do about this? I recently installed WndTabs to have a look, and I quickly realised it seems to have nearly as many options just for the tabs as VA has in total A slight concern, since we try to keep the number of options in VA to a minimum.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000