Refactoring - Word-wrap comments!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MrDoomMaster
Tomato Guru

251 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  6:51:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before you read any further, you should google for "comment reflower" and read up on how it works. Even try it out. In a nutshell, it automatically word-wraps your comments by inserting carriage returns when words exceed a specific column in the document. You can give it rules on what defines a comment block (such as doxygen comment blocks).

I think it would be very useful to have a refactoring feature in visual assist to do the job of comment reflower (word-wrap comment blocks by inserting words on new lines), but even better. I think this would be an amazingly useful feature. I would be surprised if it hasn't been suggested already.

Essentially, the ability to type a comment block and then right click it and select "word wrap" would be useful. I'm not talking about word-wrapping as you type (this would be nice but seems non-trivial).

Let me know what you think about this.

EDIT:

I found the following thread that also discusses another form of word-wrapping request. This one focuses on a different example, SlickEdit, but my feature request does not go into the scope of "word wrapping as you type"
http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5241

Edited by - MrDoomMaster on Jun 04 2007 6:56:47 PM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18946 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  06:50:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I half remember that thread. Depending on your IDE are you able to use comment reflower for now? I recall liking the idea of what this plugin did when I last looked at it.

With refactoring added and working rather nicely this idea makes a bit more sense for VA:

case=3866

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

MrDoomMaster
Tomato Guru

251 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2007 :  3:28:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

I half remember that thread. Depending on your IDE are you able to use comment reflower for now? I recall liking the idea of what this plugin did when I last looked at it.

With refactoring added and working rather nicely this idea makes a bit more sense for VA:

case=3866

How are things going with this case? Have you guys done any design or possibly implementation on this feature? Is it still being considered?

Reason I'm bumping this topic is because after a brief conversation with the author of Comment Reflower, he is no longer developing it. This basically means that there is no way for me to wrap comments right now in visual studio 2008.

Comment Reflower was a great tool because it utilized regular expressions to offer very unique comment wrapping. This was especially useful when using doxygen-formatted comments. You could instruct specific comments under specific doxygen commands to wrap differently, indent, and so forth.

I'm very excited about this feature becoming introduced into visual assist. Let me know how things are going!
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18946 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2007 :  1:15:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No sign of any progress on this. Nothing is listed on the case.

This is something you might be able to do using an IDE macro. Triggering the macro after the comment was written, and having it update it.

It is also possible you would have some success with GC code formatter: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gcgreatcode/

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000