It's a longshot - support for codeblocks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MrDoomMaster
Tomato Guru

251 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  11:40:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you guys would be honored to know that the only thing that's keeping me from switching to a linux operating system is Visual Assist :) It's spoiled me rotten!

I was looking over an IDE called Codeblocks. It's an IDE licensed under GPL. It has a very intuitive interface. However, it lacks one thing... visual assist! I realize the tool is very complete and porting it to other IDE's might be impossible, but it's worth mentioning. I doubt it'll ever happen, but I hope that maybe someday it will. I'm really quite frankly tired of Microsoft Windows. If I wasn't so attached to visual assist I would most definitely switch ;)

I really don't expect anyone to file a case for this or even say "we'll think about it", because I completely understand how impossible this task is. Many people have already suggested porting VAX over to other IDE's to no avail. I would rather just hear everyone's opinion on this idea. It would be nice to address the issue of having to use windows to use visual assist. There's that one-to-one mapping there that prevents, I'm sure, a lot more revenue rolling in for you guys. Not only would you be targetting the windows platform, but infinitely many others (well, however many more Codeblocks supports).

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  12:05:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not likely to happen any time soon to be honest.

Looking at alternative editors, the IDE most people talk about is Eclipse. I have never used this personally, but from a reaching customers point of view the sensible approach is to follow the IDE with the most users. I have never heard of Codeblocks, so based on a sample size of one (a fairly useless survey ) Eclipse would be the better target.

In terms of editing, are you editing your Linux code in the IDE with VAX? If not you should You should be fine doing this over some form of share / mapped drive, so the code lives on the Linux OS, while you edit it from within the IDE. I have done similar things myself quite happily.

The biggest problem I ran into was making sure enough library's were visible to VAX so that it could understand the types I was using.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

MrDoomMaster
Tomato Guru

251 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  2:30:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, I don't have the required hardware to be able to take the mapped drive approach. And even if I did, I think it takes the point out of having linux. Why have linux if you're going to use windows anyway?

Anyway, I was 99% sure you would mention that it wouldn't happen any time soon, so I'm not surprised. I also understand the amount of work involved, so I'm skeptical to be disappointed.

Thanks for the reply!
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  06:27:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thought, have you considered running Windows and the IDE inside some form of virtual machine on a Linux box?

Go to Top of Page

MrDoomMaster
Tomato Guru

251 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  1:10:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

One thought, have you considered running Windows and the IDE inside some form of virtual machine on a Linux box?

Yeah I've definitely thought about it. However, I'm concerned about performance. Running windows XP as an "application" in linux sounds a bit performance unfriendly to me.
Go to Top of Page

MHaggag

Egypt
14 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  2:18:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It probably won't work, but I'd try running VS under wine. The last time someone tried it was in January 2007, and it failed miserably (see report on winehq.com app compatibility database). Perhaps the situation has improved.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  4:01:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do all of my VA testing inside VMWare workstation. Normally I use win2k as the virtual OS, since it has less overhead than winXP, and I can happily run 3 or 4 virtual machines at the same time, with light usage, on a dual core machine.

The main things you want are lots of ram, a separate hard drive, so the OS and the virtual machine are on different drives, and ideally 2 processors, but this last is not so critical.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000