Technical Support
 Comments about comments
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dingweed

37 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  5:43:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why do you guys have to re-invent the wheel again? Why create new "standard" for doing comments? Microsoft already has XML comment standard that all C# users are used to

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/5ast78ax(VS.71).aspx

why not use it instead? It's clean and readable. I even wrote a vs macro that parses function names and create XML comments. And there are tools out there that would parse your C++/h files and create MSDN like docs from it. Come on give us some love in this department. I'd like to be able to stick to one standard not 55.

rhummer
Tomato Guru

USA
527 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  6:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How is VA X 're-inventing the wheel' with comments? Is it the default way Document Method is formated?

I've said this in another thread, not everyone wants XML comments, each company may have different commenting requirements. Thats why VA X gives you the option to format Document Method and add you own auto text entries to setup commenting how you want it. Why should VA X supply XML formating by default, just because Microsoft says you should probably do it? I don't think it's a big fuss to change the autotext rules, or add new ones. You change it once and backup your autotext files, pretty simple.

Tools Engineer - Raven Software
VS2005 SP2/VS2008 SP1 - VAX <LATEST> - Win 7 x64

Edited by - rhummer on Jun 20 2007 6:24:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  08:28:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have already had one request to completely hide the XML tags in XML format comments, to provide a "clean" view of them, to make the editing easier. I know when I first saw these comments I was not a great fan, they do take getting used to.

As rhummer says you just need to edit the autotext entry "Refactor Document Method" for your chosen language to use the format you want to use.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000