New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mike ONeill
Tomato Guru

South Africa
103 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  04:36:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have build 1557 loaded and I am experiencing some funnies , I work normally and then I type a char and it takes 5 secs or so to appear , I get a status bar msg saying VAX is working.

As you can imagine , its quite frustrating ,

Aslo I am seeing in one project , objects and imports that are not in that project but are in another project I am working with but not between PC restarts. Is this normal ?

How can I refresh the cached objects

Do you have any ideas , I may just reinstall and see if that fixes things

It may not be 1557 but I have been using other builds before with no apparent problems

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  09:01:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you use the button:

VA Options -> Performance -> Rebuild symbol databases

and restart the IDE VA will rebuild its symbol database. This should take a few minutes, but only a few minutes. If you have 50 3rd party libraries in your stable include directory list then it make take longer.

If you have:

VA Options -> Performance -> Parse all files when opening a project

turned on then VA will also parse files when you open the solution / workspace, but again this should only take a few minutes.

After this initial parsing is done VA's file parsing should be basically instant.

Are you working in very large files? By very large I mean 10,000 lines, 20,000 lines or more? Once you get very large files VA parsing can take longer, but this effect is not new in 1557.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

znakeeye
Tomato Guru

379 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  4:37:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was waiting for this post. I'm experiencing the same thing since build 1557. I know the delays are caused by VAX, because if I quickly disable/enable it, everything works again.

There must be a thread that eats too much CPU, somewhere in the code. Can you please double-check this?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  10:25:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
znakeeye we could do with some idea of where to look.

Are you seeing this problem in all files, or is it file specific?

The most common cause of VA using a lot of CPU time is our parser running into something that causes it problems. This is normally file specific, and related to very heavy C++ template or macro code. When this happens we really need to see the problem code to find and understand the problem.

Can you try the new 1559 build and see if this makes any difference?

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/default.asp

Go to Top of Page

Mike ONeill
Tomato Guru

South Africa
103 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  09:51:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I have reset as you suggest , I will monitor over the next days

Parse on open file was set to true

After Rebuild adjustment , and a restart of VS nothing seemed to happen , does that mean it was already rebuilt ?

I have no 3rd party dll's in the project in question , and its a relatively small project 1000 -2000 lines , I haven't counted

I'll reply again after a day or so running on these settings
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  2:24:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update. On a project this small you really should not be seeing any performance problems at all.

Go to Top of Page

Mike ONeill
Tomato Guru

South Africa
103 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  05:36:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

Used for 2 hours today , and am seeing same issue . ( getting progressively worse or am I imagining it ?)

I have 2 variables dr and con

as I am working the status bar is showing VAX loading dr and the same con.(sqldatareader and sqlconnection)

The same variables are in several methods in the same class , it seems to the same when I go into each method and work. Repaersing the file is almost instant

The delay to typing is hughly frustrating as you can gather

i turned VAX off and normality returned so its certainly something to do with it , or is simply the "last straw" tippng resources over the edde

MY PC inquestion is an HP nc8000 lap top 1GB memory Pentium 1600 mHz and admittedly is getting a bit aged but I not been experiencing problems as acute as this with it until recently

I have VS 2005 pro Sp 1 XP sp2 loaded as pretty std
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  07:28:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you try enabling VA and running Find References on these variables? If VA understands that these are local variables then Find References should be basically instant, and if you have highlight references turned on you should see only the references in the current function highlighted.

If Find References is producing the wrong results then this suggests VA does not understand the current file, which might explain a lot.

If there was something about the current file, or one of the included header files, that was causing VA's parser major problems that could explain what you are seeing.

You type, VA tries to reparse the file, the parser pushes the CPU to 100% for several seconds, everything stops. But unless the current file is something like 20,000 lines long or very heavy C++ template code the file parsing should be extremely quick, even on a relatively slow machine.

Can you run a CPU monitor and then trigger:

VAssistX -> Tools -> Reparse Current File

Looking at both the IDE status bar and the CPU monitor does this parse seem to take several seconds, or does it seem to happen very quickly?

Go to Top of Page

Mike ONeill
Tomato Guru

South Africa
103 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  07:04:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very Strange

It was slowing down on Con (SqlCOnnection) dr (sqlDataReader) and cmd (sqlCommand)imports , there is no explicit import of SqlClient in the class nad I just checked in the Project properties , there was no project wide import . There are in other classes .

I would expect the project not to reconise SqlCOnnection without that import

Before I changes re parse took about 5-6 secs

I added a Project wide import to SqlClient and it reprses im split seconds

BUT , how would the code work with no direct reference to sqlClient ??, it does but how ?

I will monitor and report back

Cheers
Mike
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  07:24:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you working in C#?

In order for:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Stable symbols in Italic

to work correctly VA needs to scan the stable symbols, both in C++ and C#, so it will scan C++ directories and C# code even if it is not currently being used, so that it has some knowledge of it. You see all of this scanning going on when you first load the IDE after installing a new version of VA or triggering a rebuild of the symbol database.

However in C# VA uses the IDE's intellisense scanner to produce completion listboxes.

I am really not sure what is going on here, the symptoms don't really make sense to me, but I am glad you have found some form of solution, clearly this was a rather bad problem.

Go to Top of Page

Mike ONeill
Tomato Guru

South Africa
103 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  01:39:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

No mainly VB

I have now uninstalled all other addins ( I had the PowerPacks , Toaster & Outline view installed ), uninstalled 1557 , reinstalled 1555 , lets see what gives. Just to eliminate 1557 , it all started when I installed 1557 , but maybe a coincidence.

The only add in now is SQLPrompt 3.5 beta ( which has been beefed to run in VS2005 !!)

I will progressively revert to as was , in steps
Go to Top of Page

Mike ONeill
Tomato Guru

South Africa
103 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  01:41:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another thought , Is it to do with installing a new version without uninstaling the old ?

I have been doing this with all upgrades for months , maybe you need t start from scratch and re build the symbol database ?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  07:23:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This should not matter. I hardly ever uninstall my current version before installing a new version.

When you install a new version of VA a full rebuild of the symbol database is automatically triggered the first time you load the IDE. One reason for this is that the format of the symbol database can change from one version to another.

VA does change internally from build to build, so 1557 introducing a new problem on your system is quite possible. Some form of interaction bug between VA and one of the other plugins is a possible trigger for the problems.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000