Technical Support
 1557: "Refactor (VA X)" context menu delay
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wolfie2x

5 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  07:11:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the cascading context menu that appears when the mouse is over "Refactor (VA X)" takes about 4 seconds to appear, and makes a cpu hit of about 20%. (this happens every time for this menu)

screenshot: http://www.speedyshare.com/854720330.html
(btw is there a easier way to upload a screenshot?)

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  07:30:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The easiest solution for screen shots is to send them to us, via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up, and we will then post them to the thread for you.

Do you see this delay and CPU spike for local variables as well?
What happens if you look at the "IDE VAssistX -> Refactoring" menu?
What happens if you hover the mouse over the symbol and open the VA hovering refactoring menu, via the small down arrow icon that appears?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

wolfie2x

5 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  08:09:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
u call that the 'easy' way? I'll stick with rapidshare..

* for local variables => yes; same cpu hit and delay
* "IDE VAssistX -> Refactoring" => yes; same cpu hit and delay
* "small down arrow" => no. it only has a tiny cpu hit and menu comes quickly.

btw I'm using VS2003; Intel dual core laptop; 1GB RAM.
also the project's on a network drive, samba mapped (linux).
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  08:30:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For pictures people often use a free image hosting service, e.g. www.photobucket.com , but you have to go to the trouble of setting up an account to use these sites. Some people find it easier for us to post the pictures for them.

For this menu speed, can you try adding the following code to a cpp file and then use right click on the first "nFoo" please:

static void testMenuSpeed()
{
	int nFoo;
	nFoo = 0;
	nFoo++;
	nFoo--;
	nFoo += 2;
}

I have tried this code in both VS2003 and VS2005 with VA 1559, and there is no delay or CPU spike on showing the refactoring sub menu via the IDE right click menu.

At least this way we are both looking at the same piece of code.

Can you try creating a default C++ console project on a local drive and seeing if you see the problem there?

I don't see why the network drive should matter here, but if we can eliminate it as a variable that would help.

Go to Top of Page

wolfie2x

5 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  03:19:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this does seem to be because of the network drive!

* nFoo => ok; no spikes; no delays

* my project on a local drive => works fine! no delay; the spike of 18% exists, but only for a fraction of a sec, so it's ok. (I tested on the exact same variable in the same cpp)

also I checked using "Process Explorer" (www.sysinternals.com), and it does show disk access spikes for VS each time the cascading menu appears. (shows much smaller spikes for local projects).
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  06:55:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you seeing delays and CPU spikes on other actions?
Do you see this delay / CPU spike if you trigger:

VAssistX -> Tools -> Reparse Current File

Since the network is a factor I am wondering if there is some form of delay / bottle neck getting hold of the file details. If so I would expect to see a similar problem show up when VA reparses the file.

I don't have a Linux machine with Samba easily available here, but I do have VMware workstation running under a Windows host OS, and when I open a solution across a windows network I am not seeing any delays or CPU spikes.

We have other users working with Linux samba shares, but no other reports so far of this problem. I am wondering if somehow this problem is related to your network, rather than to Linux with samba its self.

Go to Top of Page

wolfie2x

5 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  07:49:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well if no one else is havin' any problem with it, I'll just leave it that. Maybe my network is a bit slow.. either way, in my opinion, disk accesses should be kept to a minimum; wireless networks could be much worse.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  12:49:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have any other IDE plugin's installed?

Disk access... I keep coming back to this myself, but it does not make much sense. Testing this here I am not seeing any clear connection between opening the Refactoring sub menu on the IDE right click menu and disk access, as reported by the hard drive access light in VMWare.

Most of the time I can open this sub-menu without any disk access being instantly triggered.

If you bind a keyboard shortcut to the command VAssistX.RefactorContextMenu, which opens the VA hovering refactoring menu, do you see the same problems here?

It is almost as if the IDE its self is doing something when a sub-menu is opened.

VA does need to check your current position in the code, and run some calculations, so it knows which menu items to enable / disable (show / hide) in the refactoring menu, but if this was the cause it should show up equally in all three places, but you are only seeing it in two places.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000