Feature Requests
 Document Method
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pjemen

16 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  05:29:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Document Method is fine feature. I have one suggestion.
I have more projects. In one project is used doxygen commenting format and another is used Microsof XML documenting format.
I would like to have defined Document Method for doxygen and for Microsoft XML style. And one options with which I can select which is currently used. Something like defined profiles for Document Method and options to active profile for method.
Do you plan to add feature like this to Visual AssistX or is it presented yet?

pj

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  09:27:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have no current plans to add add anything like that.

How often do you swap between these two projects? Every few minutes? Every couple of days? Every couple of weeks?

The autotext entries are stored in a text file, which is explained here:

http://support.wholetomato.com?W434

For now I would suggest having two versions of the file, one with the Doxygen format Document Method and one with the XML format Document Method, and then use a simple batch file script to rename them as and when you need to.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

sl@sh
Tomato Guru

Switzerland
204 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  11:17:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can see where this request comes from: I used to work in a software company for quite some time, and for some clients, a certain style of documentation either right within the source code, or in a format that can be extracted from the source code was part of the contract. So, indeed, depending on the project, we had to use different comment styles.

How often anyone needed to switch very much depended on what stage the projects were in (development or maintenance), and how many projects you were actually involved in at the same time (usually you were only developing for one project, working on other projects at the same time only happened due to maintenance issues).

I'd consider this a case many developers will rarely experience, but for some it might be everyday reality. I'm not sure how many people would need sth like this (at the job I'm currently in, I won't - but you'll never know what the future might bring), but adding a feature to save and load the active autotext file from inside the IDE shouldn't be too hard to do.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2007 :  09:13:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With just a single IDE running you can simply rename the existing cpp.tpl file and "drop" your replacement file into the directory and VA will detect this and pick up the change. I have done this quite often myself.

I am not so sure about renaming two or three files in situ, but this will probably work just as well.

This should make it very easy to automate with a simple batch file, or something similar, and will provide you with more flexibility than a "simple" interface inside the IDE.

A second idea, if you are changing formats a lot, is to have a large Document Method block, that has comments in two or three different formats with a blank line between each format, and then just delete the formats you do not currently want. I am not a complete fan of this idea to be honest, but you may find it helps under some specific conditions.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000