Feature Requests
 debug at desing time
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stukad

13 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2007 :  7:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Visual Studio for dot net languages like C# has a great feature. It shows you errors in your code (like syntax or type errors) instantly after you wrote them in editor. But if you write C++ you don`t have such a feature, you see the error only next time you compile your code.

I am suggestion to implement such a feature also for C++.

Other projects have shown that it`s possible to create also an interpreter for C++.

Maybe some preparatory work is needed to create such a feature. Something like better precompilation.

I think such a feature would be a challenge to create, but not impossible. However, it would boost you effectiveness very much.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  08:00:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Turn on:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Correction -> underline mistyped symbols using

beyond this, you are almost talking about Lint: http://www.gimpel.com/
which goes beyond what VA tries to do, and as I understand it is not designed to operate on files as you are still editing them.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

stukad

13 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  12:18:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by felineVA Options -> Advanced -> Correction -> underline mistyped symbols using

I am using this for sure.

quote:
Originally posted by felinebeyond this, you are almost talking about Lint: http://www.gimpel.com/
which goes beyond what VA tries to do, and as I understand it is not designed to operate on files as you are still editing them.

This project doesn`t seam to be maintained very well. There is an online demo and an integration for 'Microsoft Visual C++ 7.x IDE (.NET) - 9/10/02'. A bit outdated. No trial version available. :(

Also I coudln`t find any demonstration (flash)videos on their website or on any well known free video share hoster.

I still think it`s worth to add this feature into visual assist.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  2:35:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never actually used this product myself, but I have passed across their website now and then. They target C++ on various OS's and seem to have a very good reputation. For IDE integration you probably want to look into this:

http://www.riverblade.co.uk/products/visual_lint/index.html

Being maintained, I am not sure, but the site lists "Version 8.00w" with the date: 8/2/07
Now if that is England format DD/MM/YY that is a little old, but if that is US format MM/DD/YY that is reasonably recent.

Some form of demo, they are offering: http://www.gimpel-online.com/OnlineTesting.html

I appreciate that this would be useful in VA, but remember that most of the time VA is parsing code that will never compile, since I am in the middle of editing it. So its parser is designed for a different sort of job to Lint, which is a mature product designed to check code that does compile.

Currently we don't have any plans to try and offer this feature in VA.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

holedigger
Whole Tomato Software

145 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  3:52:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Visual Studio doesn't show you mistyped symbols in C# until you compile (blue underline). It does show other syntactical errors as you type however. For example:

namespace Test
{
class Foo
{
public void Bar()
{
// banana isn't underlined as unknown until compile
banana = 1;
}
}
}

Whole Tomato Software