Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Delete indentation spaces with baqckspace?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ingenious

25 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2007 :  1:12:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I am working on a project for which many people (Linux fans) insisted to indent code with spaces instead of tabs. I am used to tabs in my Visual Studio and now that I've switched to spaces I miss deleting indentation with the backspace - when tab indentation is set, a single stoke on backspace deletes the tab character and thus one level of indentation, but when indenting with spaces the VS2005 editor deletes only a single space character at a time (for unindenting Shift+Tab still works, but it's not that always convenient for me).

Strangely enough, the VS macro editor does exactly what I want - when there are 4 spaces (or whatever the space indentation setting is) behind the cursor, hitting the backspace deletes them all, while if there are 3 or less, it deletes them one space character at a time. I cannot set such behavior in the VS editor.

Would it be possible to hack such behavior as an option in VAssist?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by - ingenious on Oct 15 2007 1:14:05 PM

znakeeye
Tomato Guru

379 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  03:04:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can try out the well-known Ctrl+Backspace combination. Not exactly what you're looking for, but it's at least a start :)
Go to Top of Page

ingenious

25 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  06:23:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by znakeeye

You can try out the well-known Ctrl+Backspace combination. Not exactly what you're looking for, but it's at least a start :)

Unfortunately Ctrl+Backspace deletes all white characters, no matter the indentation level...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  08:48:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might be better off leaving the IDE in tab mode, and binding a keyboard shortcut to the command [COLOR=blue]Edit.ConvertSpacesToTabs[/COLOR], the best of both worlds

Or consider running your source code through http://sourceforge.net/projects/gcgreatcode/

We are trying to avoid getting into the whole question of code formatting, which this is verges on.

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W147

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000