New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

graham.reeds
Ketchup Master

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  08:21:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This suggestion was reminded to me after reading Inquisitor's suggestion and is based on one that is present in Eclipse (one of the few good features).

Mine is slightly different - enough to warrant a thread if it's own.

I regularly call functions that take several parameters - a classic case is that of CreateEx. 7 parameters. Now you get the tooltip with the option to check the various overloads which is very helpful, but my suggestion goes one further. If you press, say ctrl-enter after typing the opening bracket (eclipse does it automatically) it fills in the fields with a set of defaults - usually pretty poor choices like arg1, "arg2", 'arg3', ARG4, etc. depending on the expect value. When this feature is activated the first argument is selected, so when you are typing you automatically overwrite the first option. Pressing tab then jumps you to the next argument and that too is highlighted ready for changing.

It's kind of intuitive after a while and one reason feature I would like other IDE's to copy.

The smart feature could be that it checks the previous lines for suitable defaults - VAX does a very good job of guessing what I will be expecting, so this goes slightly further and actually puts them in for you.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  2:01:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are considering adding a feature to suggest all of the arguments in one go, based on local variables with matching names. Not quite the same as what you are talking about, but close:

case=7200

At a practical level Tab would be a problem for me, since I like to accept suggestions (e.g. suggested parameter names) with Tab.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

graham.reeds
Ketchup Master

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  2:47:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline
At a practical level Tab would be a problem for me, since I like to accept suggestions (e.g. suggested parameter names) with Tab.

Then that would simply accept that argument and move onto the next.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000