Choose... (A card trick revisitied)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MrJones4u
Ketchup Master

81 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  09:46:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Below a common ALT-G menu when selecting a member function with multiple overloads;
I'm left a bit helpless when I have to choose the right one... Maybe a wider menu?

cu,
Michael

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  10:07:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is on our list of things to fix:

case=5189

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

MrJones4u
Ketchup Master

81 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  3:45:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After searching for the case number (naughty me, but the low number made me wonder), I do notice that 5189 has been pending for quite a while... (And I filled a screenshot showing the same problem 16th Dec 2006 http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5765)

Would it be to bold a request to make this happen soon?
I'm truly sick of randomly clicking at menu entries in the hope that I will eventually hit the right one.

Cu,
Michael

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2007 :  08:15:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is down as a high priority change. Unfortunately I cannot give you an estimate on when it will be done.

Does showing VA View and hovering the mouse over the function help? If the functions are listed in the HCB (bottom half of VA View) you can use the tooltip over the items in the HCB to work out which one is which if they are to long to show in the display.

Go to Top of Page

MrJones4u
Ketchup Master

81 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  4:37:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow; I must admit that 1632 has a lot of things done... But I guess this "little" issue which renders ALT-G (quite often) useless was not part of it... Sad... If there hope?

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  10:57:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A change to help with this has been made internally, and should show up in the next build.

In terms of a general solution, what happens when one of the overloads has 20 parameters? An alt-g menu that is wider than the screen is not going to be completely helpful.

Go to Top of Page

o2a

24 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  04:24:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline
In terms of a general solution, what happens when one of the overloads has 20 parameters? An alt-g menu that is wider than the screen is not going to be completely helpful.

Maybe you could remove all the overloads from the list which really don't fit the parameters of the current reference (where Alt-G is activated). For the beginning you wouldn't need to match the parameter types; just the number of parameters would help in many cases I think. (Of course a checkbox in reach to control this behaviour and/or a second "Goto"-Function (for keyboard binding) which implements the old behaviour would be optimal.

The same could apply for the parameter info-popup...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  10:52:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Longer term we hope that VA will understand which overload you are calling. When this happens this problem with alt-g will go away, since VA will not need to ask you which overload you are sitting on.

The parameter info popup, this normally appears when you are typing parameters, which means the number of parameters is subject to change (both increasing and decreasing) without warning.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  12:21:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=5189 is fixed in build 1635
Go to Top of Page

MrJones4u
Ketchup Master

81 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  04:44:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow - just tested it - and "just" in time too - my maintenance just run out the other day...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000