Technical Support
 1624: VAX crashes randomly
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

enigma

49 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  03:03:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just installed VAX version 1624, and it crashes randomly. I can't reproduce the problem. So what should I do?

My VA info:

VA_X.dll file version 10.4.1624.0 built 2007.12.07
Licensed to:
VA X: [email protected] (1-user license) Support ends 2009.06.09
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.6030.0
msenv.dll version 7.10.6030.0
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2900.2982
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
2 processors

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:

My IDE Info:
Microsoft Visual C# .NET 69458-005-0446806-18546
Automated Build Studio
Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 Service Pack 1 (KB918007)
Visual Assist X
TestDriven.NET 2.10.2172 Personal

http://itscommonsensestupid.blogspot.com/

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  08:18:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not good.

Have you seen this problem with previous versions of VA?
Are you seeing this while debugging? We have recently fixed a bug that was causing a crash while viewing multi-line strings while debugging. I am wondering if you are seeing a related problem.

Are you able to get a call stack when the IDE crashes?

Are the crashes related to running Find References?
If you disable or uninstall TestDriven.NET does this make any difference?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness

Edited by - feline on Dec 12 2007 08:20:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

enigma

49 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  8:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Not good.

Have you seen this problem with previous versions of VA?
Are you seeing this while debugging? We have recently fixed a bug that was causing a crash while viewing multi-line strings while debugging. I am wondering if you are seeing a related problem.

Are you able to get a call stack when the IDE crashes?

Are the crashes related to running Find References?
If you disable or uninstall TestDriven.NET does this make any difference?

Actually, it wasn't a crash-- the IDE hanged. Sorry for the confusion.

• Nope, no such problem with the previous versions

• Nope, I got this problems when I was editing in non-debugging mode

• Haven't try, will try next time when the IDE hangs

• Don't know, and may not plan to test. TestDriven.net is such an important element in my development that I can't simply remove it from my IDE.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  08:32:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you remember the previous version of VA that you used? The fact this is a recent problem is interesting, and important.

Do you get any form of error message?
Any form of feedback?
Any messages on the IDE status bar to give a clue? For example if VA reports that is parsing a specific file, and it is the same file, or same library / block of code each time the problem happens that would suggest a connection.

Does Find References or refactoring seem to be a factor? We have had some recent reports of crashes when running more than one Find References search at once.

Go to Top of Page

enigma

49 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  8:16:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do you remember the previous version of VA that you used? The fact this is a recent problem is interesting, and important.

Do you get any form of error message?
Any form of feedback?
Any messages on the IDE status bar to give a clue? For example if VA reports that is parsing a specific file, and it is the same file, or same library / block of code each time the problem happens that would suggest a connection.

Does Find References or refactoring seem to be a factor? We have had some recent reports of crashes when running more than one Find References search at once.

Yes, I do remember the previous version. And I think it was a build before 10.4.1623.

I will keep and eye on this matter and try to dig out for information when the IDE hangs next time.

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

kevinsikes
Tomato Guru

USA
271 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2007 :  11:44:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
enigma,

When the IDE is in this state, please click on a menu item and let us know if you hear Windows' default beep. This may indicate a modal dialog has popped up behind a window rather than in front. Also, check Task Manager and see if devenv.exe is consuming CPU cycles.

Kevin Sikes
Infotainment Platform Design Engineer
Ford Motor Company
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  12:03:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm having the same problem with the same IDE and also with WinXP and build 1624:

Microsoft Visual C++ .NET 69586-270-0000007-18900
Visual Assist X

The IDE froze two times today, i.e., the window contents weren't updated any more.
I've never experienced that before 1624, but I used 1619 only for a very short time.
I wasn't debugging when it happend, but I switched to another application running in parallel. When I switched back to VS, then the IDE hang.
I'm not sure if find references was involved, I have that window open very often, but just one instance.
The second time the IDE hang, it really looked strange. The IDE window was blank, but it had another window in the front having the name of the file that I was working on before. I was able to minimize and maximize it, but is was also blank. When I hit the close window button I was told that the program doesn't respond any more.

Regards
Marcus
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  1:43:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marcus, please use this form to contact us:
http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp
reference topic 7042 in the subject
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  03:27:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Done.

Regards
Marcus
Go to Top of Page

enigma

49 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  05:39:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

the patch I got did not work, I just got a hang

Also, when it hanged, I tried to click on the IDE menu, and no, there was no response.

And devenv.exe is consuming the most CPU resources

Go to Top of Page

st80rules

12 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  4:00:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FWIW, I've been getting crashes with every version since 1559. It's the last stable version for me, I've tried all the others (but not 1624) and they all crash randomly.

Norm
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2007 :  2:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are currently trying to find the cause of the crashes in VA 1624, but most people are finding the other 16xx builds to be stable.

Which IDE and OS are you using?
Which programming language are you using?
Is there any form of pattern to these crashes? Perhaps related to triggering a second Find References while the first one is still running?

Go to Top of Page

enigma

49 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2007 :  9:50:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

We are currently trying to find the cause of the crashes in VA 1624, but most people are finding the other 16xx builds to be stable.

Which IDE and OS are you using?
Which programming language are you using?
Is there any form of pattern to these crashes? Perhaps related to triggering a second Find References while the first one is still running?

These are my VA and IDE info:
My VA info:

VA_X.dll file version 10.4.1624.0 built 2007.12.07
Licensed to:
VA X: [email protected] (1-user license) Support ends 2009.06.09
2 processors

Stable Includes:

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:

My IDE Info:
Microsoft Visual C# .NET 69458-005-0446806-18546
Automated Build Studio
Visual Assist X
TestDriven.NET 2.10.2172 Personal

I am using C#.

I don't think there is any patterns related to this. But will keep an eye on this.

Go to Top of Page

st80rules

12 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  11:40:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the delay, I was off for a while. Here's my info:

VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1559.0 built 2007.07.06
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.2.4
VATE.dll version 1.0.5.8
Single processor

Stable Includes:
d:\\DXSDK\\Include;
D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\include;
D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\include;
D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include\\prerelease;
D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\SDK\\v1.1\\include;
d:\\RootReferences\\boost_1_33_1;

Library Includes:
D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\crt\\src;

My IDE is

Microsoft Visual C++ .NET

I'm using C++, and I cannot see any pattern to my crashes. They occur randomly (or so it seems).

Norm
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  2:30:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are developers are still looking into the problem, but unfortunately I do not have much to report at the moment.

st80rules your info lists VA build 1559. Are you seeing crashes even with this version? Was there any difference with any of the VA 16xx builds?

You may be seeing a different problem.

Go to Top of Page

Nightwish

3 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  4:30:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello

First, I'am new to VA_X - I'am using it for a few days, still in evaluation mode using build 1624 with Visual Studio 2005 SP1 on Windows XP2. There are no other editor addins installed (only a SVN plugin which shouldn't affect the editor at all).

I've also seen the IDE hanging in 2 different scenarios:

1) while a suggestion list box was just popping up (it was a "normal" auto-complete box while typing a local variable name, not a member listbox. The listbox wasn't fully painted at all - it kept blank, with no content listed.

2) When using "Go to definition" from the IDE while hovering a function identifier. The IDE was properly switching to the file containing the prototype and then stopped responding.

In both cases, CPU load was at maximum, IDE was no longer responsive. No modal dialog was open.

It happened multiple times, but always under very similar situations.

I got rid of the hangups by disabling the options to show symbols in bold or italic on the "Fonts and colors" option page. With these options disabled, it's now working stable w/o a hangup for about 5 hours, editing a lot of files in a fairly large C++ project. Not a single hangup or crash so far.

Maybe, this information can help somewhat to track the problem down.

BTW: There is another small issue which I don't fully understand. Why does the bracket highlighting only work with the Bitstream Vera monotype font? When using other (monospaced, of course) fonts, it doesn't work. I tried quite a few such fonts, i.e. proggy clean, monotype.com and Monospace821 BT, but no way to make the bracket highlighting work with these fonts. Using the bitstream font, everything is ok (but personally, I don't like this font - regarding readability, there are IMHO better monospaced fonts).
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2008 :  1:41:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nightwish this is most strange. I am very glad you have found a fix for the crashing problem. We are working on a fix for a crash, but I don't know if it will help you or not.

Bracket highlighting, if you set the IDE to use "Courier New" as the font, does bracket highlighting now work? What about "Lucida Console"? I am focussing on standard fonts to start with. Some downloaded fonts can behave a little strangely.

What colour have you set:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Display -> Highlight matching {} and () using

to use? Does changing this colour make any difference?

Go to Top of Page

Nightwish

3 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2008 :  7:09:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nightwish this is most strange. I am very glad you have found a fix for the crashing problem. We are working on a fix for a crash, but I don't know if it will help you or not.

Well, I don't know if it's really "the" fix, but since I've disabled the 2 options to outline bold and stable members with different font attributes, there wasn't a single problem so far. No crash, no hangup, no other strange thing. Previously, with the options enabled, I had seen multiple hangs within a few hours of working with the IDE.
quote:
Bracket highlighting, if you set the IDE to use "Courier New" as the font, does bracket highlighting now work?

Yes, it works with Courier New (truetype) but it doesn't work with Courier (bitmap font).
quote:
What about "Lucida Console"? I am focussing on standard fonts to start with. Some downloaded fonts can behave a little strangely.

Doesn't work with Lucida
quote:
What colour have you set:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Display -> Highlight matching {} and () using

to use? Does changing this colour make any difference?

By default, brackets are set to display in red (in the IDE). Highlight color for both brackets types had been set to blue on the system palette (rgb 0,0,255). Changing the colors doesn't result in any difference.

But, the entire thing is more complex and starts to confuse me a bit :)

Consider the following code segment:

#ifdef DEBUG
#define _DBG_STR_LENGTH_MAX 2048

int _DebugMessage(HWND hwndDlg, struct MessageWindowData *dat, const char *fmt, ...)
{
	va_list va;
	char    szDebug[_DBG_STR_LENGTH_MAX];

va_start(va, fmt);
	_vsnprintf(szDebug, _DBG_STR_LENGTH_MAX, fmt, va);
	szDebug[_DBG_STR_LENGTH_MAX - 1] = '\\0';

LogErrorMessage(hwndDlg, dat, -1, szDebug);
	return 0;
}
#endif

With a font which i described as "works fine" (so far, Bitstream Vera and Courier New), highlighting works, regardless where the cursor is. It will either highlight the round or square brackets if inside, or the curly brackets of the entire code block. This also works in much more complex situations (e.g. multiple, nested code blocks etc.)

However, with other fonts (which I described as not working), the following happens:

Round and square brackets are *never* highlighted. Putting the cursor outside of any brackets (e.g. on one of the empty lines) will highlight the curly brackets of the function block, BUT - only if they are on column 1 or 2. As soon as I indent these brackets, highlighting stops to work.

So basically it seems that, with these fonts, it can only highlight brackets when they are at the first few columns.

BTW: I do think, it could be related to a problem in the VS IDE itself, so maybe there isn't even any way to fix it. With some proportional fonts, indenting doesn't work as it should when using spaces to indent code. Lines will then occasionally have small offsets (mostly a few pixels left or right), even when the number of spaces used to indent the lines is the same. Also, mixing tabs and spaces for indenting results in similar problems. The issue never happens with the default font (courier new), but does happen with many other monospaced fonts.

Of course, it can also be a font issue.

/Alex

Go to Top of Page

Nightwish

3 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  03:03:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some more on the bracket/font issue.

It seems to really caused by problems of the IDE itself, maybe wrong calculations or broken font metrics?

There isn't an exact pattern for this. Some fonts work, some don't. It isn't even related to truetype vs. bitmap fonts (I've now found 2 monospaced bitmap fonts which DO work, while many others don't). And most monospaced truetype fonts don't work either, with the exception of Courier New and the Bitstream Vera font.

And, like I guessed, it's 1:1 linked to the problem of the VS 2005 IDE which causes indenting not working properly when using spaces to indent lines (lines will then not be aligned properly as there will be small offsets of a few pixels). So, basically, any fonts which triggers the indenting problem also breaks bracket highlighting.

It's not really a big issue. Since I do not like courier very much, I've been always using other fonts and configured the IDE to indent with tabs. That's why I noticed the bracket problem, but it's fixed now, because I changed my font.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  10:05:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something very strange is going on here. I have never noticed any problems with code indenting or alignment when using spaces. The IDE tends to use spaces in C# code, and tabs in C++ code, so I have plenty of experience with both.

Do you have any other IDE plugin's installed?
Are you using a localised OS or IDE?

Go to Top of Page

st80rules

12 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  10:50:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Are developers are still looking into the problem, but unfortunately I do not have much to report at the moment.

st80rules your info lists VA build 1559. Are you seeing crashes even with this version? Was there any difference with any of the VA 16xx builds?

You may be seeing a different problem.

Build 1559 is the last stable version for me. I've tried all successive builds except 1624, and they all crash.

Norm
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  2:03:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is unexpected.

Looking at your about info you have your stable include directories split between C and D drives, but this on its own should not cause any problems.

Have you seen any form of pattern to these crashes?

We have a test dll for 1624 that might help to stop the crashes, would you be willing to try this and see if it helps? If so can you please contact me via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Go to Top of Page

st80rules

12 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2008 :  4:45:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Looking at your about info you have your stable include directories split between C and D drives, but this on its own should not cause any problems.

I don't know where it comes from, that path isn't value anyways (the include subdirectory does not exist).

quote:
Have you seen any form of pattern to these crashes?

Nope, could be during compiling, debugging, etc. Couldn't see a pattern.

quote:
We have a test dll for 1624 that might help to stop the crashes, would you be willing to try this and see if it helps?

Sure, I'd be glad to help. I'll contact you.

Norm
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  11:22:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for my late reply. I installed build 1624_5 already in December, but then had only two days for testing it. I mainly did code inspection (i.e., no real programming) and wrote just a few very small test programs (i.e., I didn't use Find References or Refactoring at all). In this phase I faced no freeze. Then I got a mail from you informing me about build 1624_14, but I wasn't able to download it two days later (or so).

Regards
Marcus
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2008 :  2:37:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We believe we have fixed the crashing problems. The fix is included in the next build of VA, which should be posted in the next couple of days. It is currently working its way through internal testing.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000