New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dans

Ukraine
45 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  12:01:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I tried current Find Next/Previous By Content and found it not working/useful in 80% cases. Usually when i'm trying to invoke this function it does nothing, because it needs pasing file and analysing comipled info. Then is press Ctrl+F, paste/type name, check that find dialog in "Current document" mode and search using IDE. It really annoying to do it every time.

I propose, create new commands Find Next/Previous that uses plain parsing, just search word in plain text instead of parsing/anlysing scope. I assume that this is opposite command to Find by Context, but it is more stable and gives results always. It will save some time and nerves :)

Thanks,
Dans

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18947 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  2:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Place the caret into the symbol and press CTRL-F

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2007 :  4:32:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ctrl+F3?
Go to Top of Page

Dans

Ukraine
45 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2007 :  07:59:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sean

Ctrl+F3?

Feline, Ctrl+F needs additional interactive interference. I found that often Look In combo contain Entire Solution.

Sean, Ctrl+F3 is more prefer solution, but here i can not control direction.

Expected Navigate Next and Navigate Prev matches without cycling.
Guys, i know how to navigate in studio, i proposes new quick ways :)
VA is too poor to such small but useful things. It's not suggestion from head it works many years with other experts.

Offtopic
In one my favorite expert creators decided to create statistic how often and what is used in their expert. They need to know in which place command invoked (view, editor), how invoked (shortcut, popup menu), language. This statistic can be viewed in settings dialog - simple list view and sent anonymously to creators in single mouse click.
It is useful for creators to know what is used from their expert, how often and what they can improve - IOW set priority for current suggestions
Also it useful for developers. When i saw this statistic i found that i do not use many very useful features. It helps me when I had presentation about experts that speeds up development process. I just get info about most recently used functions and described to listeners how more effective use this expert.
Think about it.

Thanks,
Dans
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18947 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2007 :  09:59:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The specific IDE command, you should be able to easily write an IDE macro to do what you want, since you are just triggering the IDE's find command, in a given direction, with the current symbol. I looked into this when working out and writing this FAQ entry:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W382

Your broader point, I used VIM for years as my editor for pure C code under UNIX, and used '*' a LOT. That is the command for "search for the current symbol going forwards". There was also '#' for search backwards.

After 8 hours a day for 10 years I feel I am a fairly experienced VIM user.

These commands used to, and still do, really irritate me, since when used on local variables they never stick to the current function. When you are working on a 25 line display and you are stuck in the middle of a 200 line function it is actually quite difficult to tell when you have jumped into a different function.

Your point about watching experienced users is fair, but different users work in different methods, and need different commands since they are doing different jobs.

Personally I would much rather wait one or two seconds for VA to catch up and then use Find References with highlighting on a local variable, since it may be slower to trigger, over all it saves me time and I get the actual final answer I want more quickly.

A more subtle answer, what is the fastest way to move forward 10 words? Or to jump to the first opening bracket? In VIM I could use "move one word" the correct number of times, which is the fast and simple command, or I could think for a couple of seconds and use the "jump to the first ( on the line going forwards" command. This was the more complex command, and took longer to decide to trigger, but was faster, more accurate, and required less key presses. So it was the method I used for preference.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2007 :  12:52:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to beat a dead horse, but there is also Ctrl+Shift+F3 for reverse find. After the initial Ctrl+F3 or Ctrl+Shift+F3, F3 and Shift+F3 can be used normally.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000