Database Project Files (.sql) not shown in OFiS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kperkins
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  10:38:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I installed the 1624 build of the Visual Assist X Trial today, and when opening a solution containing 3 C# Library projects, 1 asp.net website project, and 1 Database project, none of the .sql files are shown in the Visual Assist OFiS dialog unless they are currently open in the editor.

Any ideas? This is a deal breaker as I have hundreds of SQL files that I need access to.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18941 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  09:04:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An interesting idea. I have put in a feature request to add SQL files to the Open Files dialog:

case=11425

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Nobodo
Tomato Guru

126 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  1:59:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there any progress on this?
I often work on projects that have database projects, and the *.sql files are part of the solution just the same as all the .cs and .aspx files. It would seem the OFiS should be able to find the files since they are part of the solution; instead I end up using VA to find C# files and something else to locate stored procedures, triggers, etc.

Thanks,
Mark.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18941 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  09:14:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately not much progress so far. We have had a look at this, but in VS2005 at least the IDE makes it hard work to find the .sql files. We are still considering this, since VS2008 might offer a way forward.

Go to Top of Page

steel_3d

2 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2009 :  2:52:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a very similar problem. I used to be able to open .fx (shader) files that were currently open in the solution in VS2005, but I can't get it to work in VS2008 no matter what I do. I've tried editing every registry key I could find. My issue is slightly different than the OP's because I COULD actually open my shader files in 2005. He was probably missing some of the registry keys I had. So what changed between 2005 and 2008, and can you guys make the OFiS work like it did in 2005?

I do have syntax highlighting and variable name suggestions and all the other good stuff working though. As an aside, for anyone who's interested, this is how I got the shader files recognized as source files by VA under VS2008:

1. In Visual Studio Tools/Options/Text Editor/File Extensions select Visual C++ as the editor and add cgfx and inc as extensions.
2. Close Visual Studio.
3. Create a text file called usertype.dat in C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\Common7\\IDE with the shader language keywords in it. Here's a post that shows how to get a good usertype.dat: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=440816&whichpage=1#2924456
4. Add the extensions ".cgfx;.inc;" to the registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X\\VANet9\\ExtSource
5. Restart Visual Studio.
Go to Top of Page

steel_3d

2 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2009 :  2:58:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am blind. In the Open File in Solution dialog there's a checkbox for "Show only files in the current solution". Once I uncheck this I can find my shader files no problem.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18941 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2009 :  5:14:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might find these FAQ's on dealing with other file extensions useful:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W328

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W353

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic