Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ramon.verbruggen

Netherlands
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  04:50:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

It's my first post to these forums so please be gentle

I'm using Visual Assist X 10.4.1624.0 with Visual Studio 2005. Our project is > 2M lines of C++ code.

In places we use a construction with macros where one macro starts a statement, then some code or parameters is specified, and another macro is used to end the statement.

In a simplified form:

#define INIT_BEGIN(nr) static void init_##nr(QInit& init); \                       static QInit init_##nr(&init_##nr); \                       static void init_##nr(QInit& reg) { reg.LazyInit ( 

#define INIT_END ; };

Actual usage of these macro's:

INIT_BEGIN(4)
     "Extra parameters to LazyInit go here",
     true,
     NULL
INIT_END

This construction seems to confuse Visual Assist very much, i.e. there is no completion available in a file after these macros have been used.

Admittedly this is very creative use of C++ preprocessor macros, but it would be *greatly* appreciated by all our developers if this construction was handled correctly.

Best regards,

Ramon Verbruggen
Quintiq
The Netherlands.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  09:30:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately VA's parser is confused by macro's that use ## to construct names:

case=3873

Do you only use this macro occasionally, or do you use it quite often? If it is only used occasionally it might be possible / reasonable, to add some dummy helper code that VA can understand to help it make sense of the code involved.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

ramon.verbruggen

Netherlands
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  09:59:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the quick reply!

A quick search turned up that we those specific macros 1300 times in our code, and a search for '##' shows that we use that specific construction no less than 733 times.

Interestingly not all of those constructions seem to cause problems. Is that what you mean with 'when using ## to construct names'?

I have searched the wholetomato site for this case 3873 but I can't seem to find more information about this. Is this issue planned to be fixed? If so, when?

Thanks again,

Ramon
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  10:11:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=3873 is simply the bug number assigned to this in our bug tracking system.

This is definitely on our list of things to fix. It seems to be behind various bugs and problems with complex macro's, so it will be nice when this is fixed. Unfortunately I don't have any estimate on when it will be done.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  10:43:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ramon: Just a suggestion on this really ugly (sorry, cant call that creative anymore) contruct: make it a C++ template and get rid of the macros (search and replace with RegEx will do the job automatically)
Go to Top of Page

ramon.verbruggen

Netherlands
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  10:54:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uniwares

Ramon: Just a suggestion on this really ugly (sorry, cant call that creative anymore) contruct: make it a C++ template and get rid of the macros (search and replace with RegEx will do the job automatically)

Hi Andreas,

I agree with you on the aesthetical aspects , but since this is static initialization code, I don't really see how to replace it with a template. Since we're using the ## operator to create names (definitions), it will IMO be especially hard to replace!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000