"Open file in solution" improvement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

znakeeye
Tomato Guru

379 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  04:55:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To me this is probably the most useful feature. I press Alt+Shift+F and can locate any file in my big solution. Splendid! :)

However, this is no good:

I type "stdafx" and get a list of 20+ matching files. I know which one I am interested in, so I locate it in the list. Then I close some documents and want to get back to that file. I open the dialog again, but now the first matching item is selected -- I have to locate my specific file again.

Solution: Remember the last selection!

Also, it would be great if you could type parts of the path (or project name) to filter out unwanted files from other projects. Most of the time I know which project I want to look in!

So, for a project called "Visual Assist X" I would type:
Filter: "vax stdafx"

Is a deal?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  2:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To re-open a closed file you may find the list of files in the top half of VA View useful. Or "Open Recent File" on VA's shift + right click menu.

Filtering the list on project sounds promising, but the IDE allows you to add a single file to multiple projects simultaneously, so the concept of which project a file actually belongs to is not that well defined.

The bigger problem with path / project filtering is now does this overlap with file name filtering. You can already exclude files from the list by using "-foo" as one part of the filter string. But if this also applies to the path then how does it work?

I can see a number of edge cases where changing filtering like this causes problems.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000