New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  09:24:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this is already known to you: I activated syntax coloring for the tooltips in the Find References Results window. There are some problems:

• Comments neither in C style nor in C++ style are colored correctly
  • Variables and Constants are colored incorrectly if they contain digits
  • Coloring is also applied to the line showing the location of the corresponding file
Win XP, VS 2003, Build 1626, no other add-ins.

Regards
Marcus

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  2:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you say comments are not coloured is this all comments? Just multi-line comments?

Using the line:

testFindRefStruct3 simple3 = testFindRefStruct3(); // done to get rid of compiler warning + makes a good extra test

in a test function, when I run Find References on the variable the tooltip for this line shows the comment coloured correctly.

Also I am not seeing any colouring on the final line of the tooltip that shows the file name.

I have tested this in both VS2003 and VS2005 with VA 1626.

There are some known issues with syntax highlighting in tooltips, mainly due to the fact that some tooltips are showing "free text" along side code, which confuses VA.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  03:26:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*sigh* This time I expected your answer I see that I have to proove that there is a problem. Therefore, I made a screenshot and sent it to you via the Request Assistance page.

Regards
Marcus
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  09:19:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the screen shot, thank you for that. That certainly settles the question of single verses multi-line comments. Now the question is, why are you getting such different results to me?

I have replied via email, with a couple of attachments.

Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  11:46:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you feline. I'll have a look at the files and be back to you next week.

Regards
Marcus
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  03:40:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just tested your solution. It's pretty much the same. I sent a screenshot again via the Request Assistance page. By the way: I don't need to open a solution to get that effect. If I just open the single corresponding file in VS, then I get the same result.

Regards
Marcus
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  09:43:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the screen shot. Most odd.

You should get an email response from our system when you use that form. You can simply reply to that email if you want, so all of the screen shots and other files are attached to one bug, to make it easier to see them all at once.

Lets start with the basics. If you turn off:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Apply Colouring to -> Tooltips

does the colouring on this tooltip disappear? It should.

Are you seeing this problem on all tooltips, or only Find References Results tooltips?

Are you using a localised OS or IDE?
Do you have any other plugin's installed?

Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  11:39:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for not replying to your email. I forwarded your mail to another account and lost track of the reply address.

Regarding your questions: If I turn of the "Tooltips" option, then the coloring on the tooltip disappears. Up to now I just saw the problem occurring within the Find References Results tooltips. I have English versions of XP and VS. Still no other add-ins.

A colleague of mine has the same configuration and faces the same problem.

Regards
Marcus
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  1:53:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"loosing" emails is common, and two bug numbers is no problem.

I have just tried this on a winXP machine, VS2003, VA 1624 and 1626, still no sign of a problem.

Is there anything you can think of that you and your colleague's machines have in common that is "odd" or "unusual", that I am unlikely to have?

Two different machines, we can rule out machine specific behaviour, which is something.

Are you using a custom IDE or VA colour scheme? Or the default colour scheme?

I have just reset the IDE fonts and colours, VA colours, and IDE window layout. I did this one at a time, restarting the IDE after each reset, and still no problems. The tooltip is still correctly coloured for me.

Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  03:25:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this is important, but we both have laptops (Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo CPU U2400). There is nothing else special about the machines that comes to my mind. Our IDEs aren't customized at all, most VA settings are also default. Regarding coloring: I have activated the coloring for "Text editors", "Tooltips", and "Listboxes".

Anything else that I can try?

Regards
Marcus

Addendum: It seems that the tooltips are drawn two times. The first time it seems to be correct, but then it's painted over by the broken version. However, I'm not sure if the first version is totally correct. The repainting is way too fast to verify that. It's more or less just a flickering.

Edited by - khb on Jan 29 2008 04:37:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  08:26:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest I am not sure what else to try. I have put in a bug report for this, to see if our developers have any ideas:

case=11929

Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  09:09:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, well, thanks. Although I can imagine what developers will do with low prio cases that can't be reproduced

Regards
Marcus.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  11:37:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
May I ask: when was the last time ALL tooltips where colored correctly in C++ projects? I think not even in 15xx build I have seen that.
Besides of showing comments that are not related to the function for example
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  2:19:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It tends to depend on what the tooltip is showing. Tooltip colouring should be fairly reliable most of the time. Comments that do not look like comments are a known problem.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  2:30:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Multiline comments pretty much always get messed up and the comment text is syntax colored. But thats known since VA 10xx
Go to Top of Page

khb
Tomato Guru

Germany
337 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  3:57:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Uniwares: I don't mind if there are some wrongly colored symbols. I see this nearly every day. But in my case the syntax coloring of the tooltips is completely broken. This isn't anything severe, but a fix for it would at least be nice because it would impove readability. Anyway, I understand when the developers try to fix obvious problems before they start searching for new ones.

Regards
Marcus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000