New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  09:50:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I'm having a constant battle with VAX 1626 when typing C#. "Quite often" (but not every file, nor everywhere in the files it happens in -- really sorry about the vagueness, but I haven't been able to narrow it down yet), when typing literals or keywords VAX inserts its suggestion when I don't want it to.

For example, what I'm trying to type right now:

this.SubItems[0]

So I type "this.SubItems[", and as I'm doing so a little suggestion tooltip pops up saying "SubItems" -- now if I press '0' whilst this is displayed, I get the suggestion inserted, even though that's not what I want, nor does it bear any resemblance to '0', and I get this:

this.SubItems[SubItems

Aargh!!

I like the suggestions, but I'd like them more if they only inserted themselves when I pressed Tab like I have everything else set to do.

Thanks,

--Tom

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  2:29:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does context seem to be a factor? In C++, without VA installed, when a listbox appears after a dot then the IDE assumes that the list must be correct, so the current item in the list is automatically accepted by any character not valid in a symbol. In order to be consistent VA does the same thing.

The result is that if a suggestion listbox appears after a dot, where you would normally expect a member listbox, then the VA accepting listbox options are ignored and the current item is accepted with any character not valid in a symbol.

If something similar was at work for you then context should have some baring on things.

To be honest I am not sure where to start with this problem.

Do you have any other IDE plugin's installed?
If you undo the item being accepted and retype does the same thing happen?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  05:57:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Retyping generally has the same effect, but sometimes not. And yes it is dependent on context, in some parts of certain files it happens all the time and in other places it does not.

Here's a screen grab at the point when I am just about to press '0' in a situation where the wrong thing would be inserted, in this case "Equals":

Edited by - tom_seddon on Feb 07 2008 05:58:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  08:04:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you normally get a tooltip overlaying the listbox?

If you disable VA does this problem go away? It probably does, but best to check.

Are you seeing any other problems in these files? If you look at VA's context and definition fields do they normally show something sensible?

I am wondering if something is confusing VA's parser. That might explain unexpected listboxes, but it does not seem to explain the way they are being accepted.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  3:45:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Disabling VA makes the problem go away.

Context and definition fields seem fine; no other problems noted in these files.

Not sure about the tooltip thing, I'm afraid! I don't pay much attention if I'm not interested in what VA and Visual Studio have to say; they both pop up "a bunch of stuff" as I type and I don't usually have to worry about it too much.

I'm off work for the next week -- my posting wasn't best timed -- but when I get back if I get the time I'll try to narrow things down. I had a brief go on Friday but was unable to manufacture from scratch a file that would cause VA to go nuts. It only seems to happen with "real" files, so hopefully I'll be able to try chopping things out until I get a small repro case.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000