Feature Requests
 VA Outline Filters / Sorting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RoSe

15 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  10:05:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the outlineview because it helps me to navigate througth the code. But sometimes I have (too) big files in VB with lots of methods and fields and I get lost looking for a particular method in the list. I understand that the outline illustrates the structure of the file but sometimes it would be useful to have the list sorted by the name of the methods (without touching the structure of the file, like a view on data). It would also be useful to be able to ex/include the fields of a class in the list ...

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18947 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  10:28:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried using the alt-m list? The list of methods in a file? This is designed to let you filter the list, to find and jump to a specific item in the file.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

RoSe

15 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  11:31:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Comes close to it, although I'd prefer a always on top view over the poping up list ...
Go to Top of Page

Krakken
Ketchup Master

Australia
63 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  05:35:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd also like to see some VA Outline options if possible. I'd especially like the feature to be able to turn on and off certain filters so I can list say "All Methods", "Public Methods", "Public Variables" etc.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18947 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  10:59:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We do not have any current plans to filter VA Outline. One reason is that VA Outline is designed to allow you to re-order items in the current file via drag and drop, so any form of filtering or sorting is going to stop this working.

You can fold / collapse nodes in VA Outline to help you focus on just the items you want to see.

Go to Top of Page

aberazioon
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  07:57:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Such pity. I think that fast access to items comes in daily usage first before drag-drop sorting capability which is bell&whistle for keeping ordered bodies of items in files. I think first is done all the time frequently, latter rather from time to time. Except your user response is different :-)

Besides, solution for adding nice functionality Krakken prompted is, as always, simple - drag-drop can be disabled when filter is on. Also nice thing would be a filtering similar to preferences filtering in Eclipse - as you put some text in edit, you stay with desired items only.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18947 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  09:46:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want fast access to items have you tried Alt-M for the list of methods in the file? Fast access is exactly what this feature is designed for.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000