Loss of VA functionality
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sosedada

USA
36 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2008 :  11:58:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what happened, but I highlighted some code and hit "/" to comment it out, and it just inserted a slash. The only interesting thing I can think of that I've done lately is install PowerCommands for Visual Studio 2008.

Any suggestions before I reinstall VA?

VA_X.dll file version 10.4.1624.0 built 2007.12.07
Licensed to:
VA X: [email protected] (1-user license) Support ends 2008.11.26
DevEnv.exe version 9.0.21022.8
msenv.dll version 9.0.21022.8
Font: Consolas 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.6001.18000
Windows Vista 6.0 Build 6001 Service Pack 1
4 processors

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SDKs\\Windows\\v6.0\\include;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\crt\\src;

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2008 :  5:01:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you select the code and the Shift + Right click to open the VA shift + right click menu, and select "//" is the code correctly commented out?

If this works it might simply be a problem with your key bindings.

Can you try assigning a custom keyboard shortcut to VAssistX.SelectionToggleLineComment and see what happens when you use this keyboard shortcut?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

sosedada

USA
36 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2008 :  5:06:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, it appears to have been a transient VA confusion, perhaps I had a parse issue confusing it? I can no longer reproduce it. FWIW, I couldn't use / or *, but the "surround with" functionality did work. Thanks for your reply.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2008 :  5:21:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is odd. If VA was still parsing the file any problem should have shown up no matter how you triggered the command. Hopefully this was a one off problem.

Go to Top of Page

superhurn

2 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  08:18:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen this as well, and had code disappear several times. I can cause curious behaviour by typing the following:

int fred;
/*
*/

if I highlight the first line and type '/', it works ok, but if I accidentally highlight the second line as well it deletes the first line of code. I know commenting out the second line results in invalid code, but I don't expect it to delete lines! I suspect there are other examples that cause code to be deleted as well.

Another thing I've noticed, but only with VC6, is that if the cursor is partway down the file, eg at line 10, if you click ctrl+A to highlight the whole file and type '/', it only comments out the code up to the cursor, not all the highlighted text.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  10:16:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am seeing the same effect here with the line being deleted. Thank you for the clear description.

case=15111

That was an unexpected, and rather nasty effect.

Have you ever noticed a pattern to / just not working? I am able to reproduce the line being deleted very easily, it just happens. However I have never noticed a problem with / not working.

I am also seeing the problem with only the lines above being commented out in VC6:

case=15113

Go to Top of Page

superhurn

2 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  12:53:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although I've never explicitly noticed that / doesn't work, I have noticed a different peculiarity with the ctrl+A option:

if there is no '//' comment at the start of the file, then I get the problem mentioned earlier. If, however, I have a '//' comment at the start of the file, then perform the ctrl+A issue as before, instead of commenting out the code (or part of it), it instead uncomments the code, so any '//' comments that were in the code get undone - this is a bit more subtle and can look like nothing happened on large files (until you compile!!). What is more, it appears to insert a copy of the code following the cursor, so that it is duplicated:

// hello (must be on first line)
for (int i = 0; i < 10; ++i)
{
print("hello");
}

with the preceding code, if you place the cursor on the 'print' line, press ctrl+A, and then '/', you get the following:

hello
for (int i = 0; i < 10; ++i)
{
print("hello");
} print("hello");
}

Note that the 'hello' comment has been undone, and the code following (and including 'print') has been copied. I suspect the comment is undone because it is the first in the selection, and so it determines that the action is to uncomment, which I guess is reasonable (though can be surprising if you try to comment out a whole file), but the copied code is strange.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  5:17:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am seeing the duplication here as well. The actual extent of the duplication seems slightly random, but it is clearly happening:

case=15125

I agree that the uncommenting is by design. When you have selected a mix of commented and uncommented code VA has to do something, and basing that decision on the first line seems quite reasonable to me.

Out of interest is there some reason for using comments, and not wrapping the entire file in #if 0, #endif?
To me the #if 0 #endif approach seems easier to control, since you can move these start and end blocks quite quickly and easily by simply cutting and pasting a single line.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  12:23:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=15111 is fixed in build 1635
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  01:07:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote