Technical Support
 Listboxes preventing things
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hybrid

7 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2008 :  10:23:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like VA and use it for it's replacement of intellisense features and matching bracket highlighting in C++.

However, some features of it, that I can't find a way to disable, are causing quite some annoyance to me:

Problem 1:

Imaging I have a line

#include "file.h"

which I need to change into

#include <Lib/file.h>

I select with the mouse the first ", like so:

#include "file.h"

Then I type with the keyboard <Lib/, so it becomes:

#include <Lib/file.h"

Then I press the "end" key of my keyboard, so the cursor is at the end.

Then I press backspace and >, so the final result is:

#include <Lib/file.h>

At least, that's the result in visual studio if there were no visual assist.

With visual assist, the result of the above mentioned keystrokes is instead:

#include <Lib/>

This because for some reason, if I type the <, VA selects the text file.h and the rest which I then type, of course overwrites this file.h.

Why is this, and how can it be disabled? I'm way too used to being able to type without mouse, with only the keyboard and use keys like arrows and end, and with it not overwriting text if the Insert key of the keyboard is never pressed, so I really need this VA feature disabled.

Problem 2:

Sometimes menus from VA appear while typing. When these menus (called listboxes I think) are there, the arrow keys and end key of the keyboard don't navigate in the text anymore.

How can these menus be disabled or be stopped from stealing the arrow and end keys?

Is it possible to have these menus appear only if I press e.g. ctrl+space, instead of all the time while typing?

E.g. in the above header example, when I type the /, such a menu appears, and pressing End on my keyboard doesn't bring my cursor to the end of the line I'm typing at anymore to be able to press backspace and >

Edited by - Hybrid on Apr 08 2008 10:27:59 AM

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2008 :  12:54:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Problem 2: it called Suggestion listboxes and they are the best guess of Visual Assist. It contains local variables, member variables, classes, pre-defined snippets, etc.

You can turn it off in

VAssist / Visual Assist X Options / Advanced / Suggestions.

Here, turn off "Include suggestions in listboxes" and "Include VA Snippets in listboxes"

Here is a detailed description of suggestion lists:
http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/suggestion.asp

Edited by - accord on Apr 08 2008 12:58:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18940 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2008 :  12:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The #include line is a special case. To turn off most spontaneous listboxes while typing simply turn off:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Suggestions -> Include suggestions in listboxes

For listboxes that appear while typing #include statements you can press Escape once to dismiss them. Having done this typing works normally.

For the first problem, the best solution is probably to press the right arrow key once. This dismisses the listbox and the selection for me.

I appreciate this is an extra key press you did not used to have to press, but hopefully the help with entering a new #include statement makes up for this.

If you turn on:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Listboxes -> Shrink when possible
VA Options -> Advanced -> Listboxes -> Allow Acronyms and Shorthand
VA Options -> Advanced -> Listboxes -> Prefer Acronym matches

these options apply while typing a #include line, so you may find that if you leave suggestions and snippets turned on that it is quicker to enter a new #include line than it is to edit an existing line.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000