suggestion boxes behaviour super annoying
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hybrid

7 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  03:00:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Sometimes while typing C++ code after typing a . or -> a suggestion box with the functions pops up. This is very useful! They appearantly need a space or '(' to be typed to select the function. Half of the times I lose the suggestion box because I'm used to type "enter" to select something from such a box, but enter makes the box disappear without inserting the text for some reason :(

Then I was typing a comment, and at the end of the line of the comment I wanted to press a comma and then press enter for a newline. For some reason a box popped up after I pressed the comma, and then I pressed enter to go to the new line, and it selected something useless from the *unneeded* suggestion box!

How can I know which kind of suggestion box selects the text in it with enter, and which one with space?

I like VA for a lot of features, but man, those boxes that pop up while typing are killing me! How many times I've had to use backspace or retype stuff because an unexpected box popped up and stole the input from some key of the keyboard... And the useful boxes I actually need disappear when pressing enter :s. They already steal so many keyboard input (arrow keys, home and end key, '(', space, probably * too), so why the enter key is then not used is beyond my understanding, especially in the knowledge that other, unneeded suggestion boxes actually DO steal the enter key just while wanting to go to a newline in a comment!

Also, the suggestion boxes in comments pop up and disappear immediatly. They stay just long enough to steal the input from the keyboard while typing, but not long enough to use them. Can they be turned off?

Do I need to type in a different way or something? Do I need to wait one second every time I want to press "enter", "space", arrow up/down or home/end, and interpret possible suggestion boxes on screen? I don't want to have my typing being slowed down by that!

I wish there would just never popup any box like that, unless I press e.g. CTRL+space. And then they'd be useful if it requires less time to think about which key to press to get the text from the list (space or enter? which one will not close the box?), than it takes to type it manually.

Edited by - Hybrid on Apr 15 2008 03:39:18 AM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  10:33:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something, probably several things, are going wrong here. Which IDE and version of VA are you using?

You should never see spontaneous listboxes while typing in a comment.

You should not see suggestion listboxes after typing dot or ->
This can happen when VA is confused by your code, and cannot produce a member listbox. If this does happen they are supposed to be accepted with Enter, and any character not valid in a symbol. Other people complain when this happens.

You may find the following options help:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Suggestions -> Include suggestions in listboxes

VA Options -> Advanced -> Listboxes -> Selections committed with: Any character not valid in a symbol

The first one can be used to turn off suggestion listboxes. The second one controls how listboxes are accepted.

What we really need to do is try and find, and fix, the problems causing the problems you are seeing. Can you reproduce any of these problems on demand?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Hybrid

7 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  10:48:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

When typing . or ->, it are the member listboxes that it displayed. I accently called them suggestion boxes in the above post. Is it normal that the enter key doesn't select the text from a member list box, while it does select the text from a suggestion box? It's really the member list boxes that don't work with enter.

The version is 10.4.1626.0. The IDE is VS2005.

The suggestion boxes in comments do not appear if the option Repair case in Suggestions is turned on. These boxes had a green colored side. It does look like a bug, because I see no connection between repair case and those boxes in the comments :)

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  2:11:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you try turning on:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Listboxes -> Selections committed with: Enter

that should help with Enter on your listboxes. Listboxes in comments, can you try upgrading to VA 1632 please and see if that helps:

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7404

this is a beta version with a number of bug fixes.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000