Technical Support
 How do I stop autocomplete?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DrB

28 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  11:26:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When VAX insists on changing a variable name, what is the easiest way to undo the change?

Example: I have a C++ class (in VS 2008) with a void* member named "handle". Now when I write a line of code that starts like:

my_function(handle,

VAX changed "handle" to "HANDLE" (which is a pain, shouldn't it prefer a more local variable, or better yet prefer the proper case?). So, I try hitting "ctrl-z" to undo the variable change, but this removes the comma. When I put the comma back, VAX changes it back to "HANDLE" again.

How can I get over a speed bump like that quickly?

rhummer
Tomato Guru

USA
527 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  11:44:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What version of VA X are you using? I believe this is improved in 163,2 which is in beta. But that is the 'Repair case' option, you can turn that off in the VA X Options -> Advanced -> Correction.

Tools Engineer - Raven Software
VS2005 SP2/VS2008 SP1 - VAX <LATEST> - Win 7 x64

Go to Top of Page

DrB

28 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  12:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I should have said. I am using Visual Studio 2008, and Visual Assist 10.4.1632.0.

I would not want to turn off "Repair Case"; I am wondering if there is a key stroke to tell VAX to back off when I want to override it.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  4:34:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am seeing the same effect here.

When you type "handle" as a parameter, you should see a suggestion listbox rather than completion listbox. As far as I know, selections should NOT accepted in suggestion listbox if you keep unchecked

Visual Assist Options... / Advanced / Listboxes / Selections commited with: Any character not valid in a symbol

Strange: even if I start typing into a new line in a function body, my selection is accepted by space or comma. (Any character not valid in a symbol is unchecked).

So I think it is a regression in 1632. If Feline will confirm this, he can put in a bug report if it is not fixed already behind the scenes.

Edited by - accord on Apr 17 2008 4:48:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2008 :  09:44:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far I cannot reproduce the problem. I wonder if I am doing something different to everyone else. I am using the following code:

static void testCallWithPointer(void *pParam1, int nParam2)	{ }

static void testGeneralCode()
{
	void *handle = 0;
	testCallWithPointer(handle, 0);  // testing typing this line
}

As I type the function call I see a suggestion listbox as I am typing the parameter "handle". Are people typing the entire word, or accepting the listbox? I am typing the entire word "handle". When I type the final letter the listbox closes. When I type the comma "handle" is left alone, the comma is typed, nothing else happens.

I have repair case turned On.

For reference this is what I am seeing, as I am typing the parameter "handle":

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2008 :  5:14:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, my mistake, I haven't declared "void* handle", therefore "HANDLE" was my default selection, and the correction was made by "Repair case" option.

So we have to figure out why "HANDLE" is the default selection in your listbox, even if you declare "handle".
In Feline's example "void* handle" was declared in local scope, but I do not see any problems even if declare "void* handle" as a member.

Do you see "handle" (with lower case) also in your listbox next to "HANDLE"? (which is your default selection)
There may be something in you source code that confuse VAX parser. Can you try this handle stuff in a new, empty test project with a very simple class?

Edited by - accord on Apr 18 2008 6:02:30 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000