Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 VA Snippets: //? shortcut only works for some ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

davidbak

2 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  5:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is carefully documented that for VA Snippets, if your shortcut starts with // then it can only be one of //+, //-, and //*.

Why the limitation on the character following the //? I'd like to use //b for /// \\brief, //f for /// \\file, etc. etc.

-- David

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  11:34:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a compromise, between having snippets help you when triggering comments, but avoiding snippets being active, and getting in the way, while writing comments.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

davidbak

2 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  11:49:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can see that reasoning - but then again, maybe not. Presumably the person who added the shortcut //b did so deliberately and can see the results ... and remove the shortcut if it gets in the way.

For example, I routinely type a blank after // and then the text of the comment, that is, always "// text goes here" and never "//text goes here". So using shortcuts //b, //f, etc would never get in my way when writing comments.

If a person didn't have that habit (space after //) the shortcuts would get in his way, and then he would delete the shortcuts and be happy again. As long as there were no "//x" style shortcuts installed with the product it would be ok.

-- David
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  12:27:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a reasonable argument. However in my experience problems start when you work in a team. Programmers never seem to agree on code formatting styles, so you may find yourself moving between files with "//hello", "// hello" and "/* hello */" format comments at "random".

The second point here is that experience indicates most of our users never edit Snippets, so an approach that asks them to edit Snippets is not ideal.

Like any compromise it has its good points and its bad points.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000