Feature Requests
 emulate emacs completion mode?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rberton

5 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  1:47:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This will probably be denied, but I had opportunity to edit some code on emacs setup with auto completion. I think this works pretty well and would like to see the option in VAX. Basically:

std::string s;
s.r // this would popup 'resize' and 'reserve', etc

Pressing TAB here would choose 'reserve' under the current behavior. The suggestion is that pressing TAB *again* would choose the next completion and again the next, etc.. until you press the space bar.

Thanks,

riley

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  09:44:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never having used Emacs, what is the advantage? This reminds me of the completion system in VIM 6, which had to work without the ability to show a listbox.

In VA you can have a listbox that shrinks and filters as you type, so you can select the item you want with only a few key presses.

The other question here is how do you add a tab after the inserted word? There are times when this is useful, mainly when lining up several assignment statements.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

rberton

5 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  11:58:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The advantage is when you have multiple completions that start the same.. e.g.:

int defaultTimeoutSeconds
int defaultTimeoutMillisecs

If you want to use the one that is not highlighted by default, it is a lot of typing. The abbreviations only help if there is not something else the resolves to 'dtm' or 'dts'. If there is, you still have to reach over to the arrow keys to move down to the appropriate one.

This enhancement would make the TAB key act like the down arrow.

AFA what do you do with TAB insertions, you should insert normally when there is no completion. This means that the current completion has to be accepted with Enter or Space before a tab can be inserted. For me this is good behavior because I never insert TAB chars only spaces.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  1:03:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How familiar are you with acronym's and shorthand? They are designed to help with these types of listbox situations:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/acronym.asp
http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/shorthand.asp

The number of key presses is going to depend on the exact situation, but here I do not see a clear advantage to the Emacs mode. Use "dtsd" as the filter, and you will get Seconds, or use "dtmi" and you will get millisecs.

If these are members of the same type (e.g. a class) them personally I would have just typed "sec" or "mil" to filter the list, ignoring the duplicate part and focussing on the unique part to begin with.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000