1635, VS2008, code gen, and stability.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stoneym

USA
8 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  09:57:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not able to reproduce this on a consistent basis (just what you wanted to hear), but I have some stability issues introduced with 1635 into my vs2008 environment. To the tune of the below image.

Our product is a little convoluted, but basically we use xml config files run through a custom tool to generate code files. This happens in the IDE at design time. Becasue of this, VAX has to reparse the file. A lot of our generated code has classes like the following...

public class MailingAddress : OwnedBusinessObject<MailingAddress, MailingAddressLocalized, MailingAddressLocalizedHistory>, IComparable<MailingAddress>, IComparable, IAddress {...}

Once the code is regenerated, and VAX decides to reparse it (usually after I click on some code that makes use of the generated classes), it gets hung parsing the IComparable<T>. MailingAddress in this case. I can watch the status bar go a little nuts flashing that it is processing that over and over again and then finally it pops and I get the debug report below.

This does not happen with 1626 as far as I can tell.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  12:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How often does this happen? I am wondering if you can turn on VA logging and then capture the problem. The log files might give us a clue. The "problem" here is simply that the log files can grow rather quickly, so leaving logging turned on for a long time is not ideal.

Please see this FAQ for details of turning on VA's logging, and sending us the log files

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305

Do you have any idea, approximately, how many generated files are being created?

How many files do you have in your solution?

If you open VA's Open File in Solution dialog (Alt-Shift-O) the title bar contains two numbers. The first number is the number of files currently listed, which changes as you filter the list. The second number is the total number of files in the list, which is normally the number of files in your solution. What is this second number?

It might be worth rebuilding your VA symbol database, just to see if this helps:

VA Options -> Performance -> Rebuild symbol databases

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

stoneym

USA
8 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  2:16:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This seems to happen everytime I regenerate my code with our custom tool. One .cs file is created when I run the custom tool. We've got 12043 files in our solution, although most of these are images and other files to support skinning in our app. We've got lots of skins.
I rebuilt my symbol database and emptied my cache on several occasions after crashes hopping that would work, but it does not seem to matter.

I had to revert at this point to 1626 as I am on a deadline. I can get a test box setup though in the next couple of days to reproduce the problem. I'll get you some logs then and hopefully get this figured out.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 13 2008 :  08:54:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand the nature of deadlines, and obviously these come first.

The "good" news here is that the problem seems consistent. Hopefully this will make it easier to pin down and fix, since clearly this is an urgent problem.

Is there any chance of getting a copy of the generated cs file for testing purposes? I understand this is often not possible, but it is worth asking on the off chance

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000