VS Crashes constantly
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mspa

Netherlands
44 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  09:37:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the moment I cannot use Visual Assist because it crashes my visual studio constantly. When I disable VAX all works perfectly but when I enable it after about 3-4 keystrokes (in the editor) my Visual Studio window just disappears and the devenv.exe process is stopped. There is no exception dialog or any other trace stack information.

For some background information, I have installed Visual Studio 2008 on a Windows 2003 OS running on a Virtual PC 2007 image. Visual Assist and GhostDoc are installed as plug-ins. The virtual PC image is running on Vista SP1.

VA_X.dll file version 10.4.1639.0 built 2008.05.15
DevEnv.exe version 9.0.21022.8
msenv.dll version 9.0.21022.8
Comctl32.dll version 6.0.3790.3959
Windows Server 2003 5.2 Build 3790 Service Pack 2
Single processor

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18941 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  2:15:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this a new problem with VA 1639, or have you seen it with previous versions of VA?

Can you please load the IDE, but do not load your solution. Then turn on VA logging, then load the solution, and trigger the crash. I am hoping the log files will give us a clue as to what is going wrong here.

Please see this FAQ for details of turning on VA's logging, and sending us the log files

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305

What programming languages does your solution use?
If you create a new, default solution do you see the same problem?

Can you please try deleting the NCB file from the root directory of your solution. Occasionally I have seen a corrupt NCB file crash the IDE in a similar manor. When this file is deleted the IDE will simply re-create it.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

mspa

Netherlands
44 Posts

Posted - May 21 2008 :  03:49:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have send you the logging information and will try the things you suggested.

This is the first time I have seen this crash. I also had this crash with version 1635 and therefore tried if it would be fixed with 1639.

However I just changed job, so a new computer, new installation and another VS Solution. It could be something in the solution though. It is a web project with both VB and C# code.

edit: There is no NCB file in my solutions folder (probably because it is a web project) and I do not havwe the problem with a new project.

Edited by - mspa on May 21 2008 04:04:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18941 Posts

Posted - May 21 2008 :  10:31:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the log files, thank you for these:

case=16910

Hopefully they will give our developers some clues. If you have the time, can you try and grab a dump file as well? I know you do not get a chance to do this when the IDE crashes, but you might be able to do it by doing the following.

* load two instances of VS2008
* load your solution in the first IDE
* in the second IDE you will probably need to either open a seperate solution, or a single code file. Can you please use a single simple code file. Until you do this you probably cannot see the "Debug" menu.
* Open the Debug menu and select "Attach to Process..."
* In the dialog that appears select "devenv.exe" in the Available Processes list and press the "Attach" button.
* Once the second IDE has finished attaching make sure the first IDE is still working, if not tell the second IDE to run the process it is attached to.
* Now reproduce the crash in the first IDE. Hopefully you will get some information in the second IDE.

If this works can you then use "IDE Debug menu -> Save Dump As..." and note where you save the DMP file, and then send it to us.

Edited by - feline on May 21 2008 6:33:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

mspa

Netherlands
44 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  09:37:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been programming all day with a second IDE debugging my first IDE.... the crash hasn't occurred yet

Will keep you up to date when anything happens.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18941 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  09:49:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It could be the problem has spontaneously fixed its self. It would be nice if it had.

The other possibility is that attaching the second IDE has stopped the problem crashing the first IDE *sigh*

Go to Top of Page

mspa

Netherlands
44 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  03:42:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After a day programming I finally could reproduce the crash with a second IDE attached. The attached IDE however already detached itself after the crash

Since the IDE (as far as I remember) always crashes in the same source file, I will send you this file today for ****ysis.

Furthermore I have tried setting all settings in VAX to a minimum but this didn't help either.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18941 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  2:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the file, many thanks for this. I have opened the file on its own here in VS2008 and added a comment, and I am not seeing any problems.

The file does not seem that complex, and does not seem to be doing anything nasty. So I am wondering if the Imports might be a factor. The last two are:

Imports CommerceComponents.Helpers
Imports BS.Web.Presentation.Basket

are these used in lots of files in your solution, or are they quite rare?

Go to Top of Page

mspa

Netherlands
44 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  03:56:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well those two imports actually are C# class libraries with our own source code (a lot though). Those are used in lots of other files, which do not crash.

Does the logging I send a few days ago clearly state what VAX was doing when the crash occurred? Is there anything I can do to enhance the logging?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18941 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  11:24:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest I am not sure what else to try. We need our developers to think of something to try. I know they are looking at this. Hopefully they will think of something soon.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000